Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Council services

Illegal Dumping

Littering and illegal dumping of waste is an expensive problem to remedy; it has direct environmental impacts on flora and fauna, reduces the visual appeal of our Shire and can be dangerous to people of all ages.

Eurobodalla Rangers regularly patrol Council land, Crown land, State Forest and National Parks from Akolele to South Durras, and also respond to reports of dumping on private property.

Rangers may use video surveillance, erect caution signs, and monitor the transport of waste by the public and contractors. Random audits and inspections are conducted on contractors, development applications and various businesses.

Penalties for illegal dumping range from $250 for littering up to $1 milllion for corporations illegally disposing of waste. Offenders are either issued with 'On The Spot' fines or taken to court.

Remember: It is your responsibility to ensure that your waste is transported and disposed of at a lawful waste facility. The owner of waste which is illegally dumped may be just as guilty as the person who dumped it.

Report illegal dumping to either 02 44741000 or 131555

Report a Tosser!  Report littering from a vehicle

If you see litter being discarded or blown from a vehicle you can report this to the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA). By reporting littering from motor vehicles, you can help raise awareness, reduce clean-up costs and keep NSW clean.

To report littering from a vehicle you need to:

  • be 18 years of age or over or have your parent's or guardian's permission to report
  • have actually seen the litter being thrown, or blown, from the vehicle
  • provide the vehicle registration details, location, type of litter, date and time
  • report the incident within 14 days
  • Go to the HEY TOSSER! website to report the littering:

The first time you submit a report you will be asked to register. You will need to have your mobile phone with you so you can receive an SMS text message that will verify your registration details.

You need to register to report, so the EPA can be confident your contact details are correct. A fine may be issued based on your report, and you may need to be contacted about the report. Also, if the offender chooses to have the matter dealt with in court the EPA will need to contact you, and you may be required to attend court as a witness.

Safety first

Your health and safety are more important than reporting littering from a vehicle. Never use your mobile phone while driving. Pull over or ask a passenger to record the details. If recording the details affects your concentration or driving, wait until next time to report littering from a vehicle. If the occupants of a vehicle are littering, it is only a matter of time before this is observed and reported by another member of the public, police or an enforcement officer.

More information