Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Development and planning

Buying or selling

When buying or selling a property, you should seek legal advice from a solicitor or conveyancer who will provide you with detailed information to protect your interests.

There are also a number of different types of certificates that are required and/or recommended that provide prospective purchasers with information such as development restrictions, building approvals, outstanding rates payable and whether you can build on a particular block of land.

This information is provided as a guide only and you should always seek legal advice and consult your real estate agent regarding your specific requirements.

Section 149 planning certificate

Under Section 149 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Council can issue a certificate providing information about planning controls and development standards relating to a property. You can apply to Council for a Section 149(2) or (5) Certificate according to your individual circumstances.

Building certificate

A Building Certificate is issued under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. The certificate prevents Council for a period of seven years from making an Order.You can apply to Council for a Building Certificate. This page explains the process of how to apply for a Building Certificate.