Types of development
Development includes building, renovating, demolishing, subdividing land or changing the use of a building or land.
New development falls within one of these categories:
- exempt development: minor works that do not require approval because they are undertaken in accordance with the specified standards in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (State Policy)
- complying development: combined Development Application and Construction Certificate process where the development meets the specified standards in the State Policy.
- Development Application: all other local development that is not exempt or complying will require a Development Application and a Construction Certificate.
The Eurobodalla Local Environmental Plan (LEP) sets out what development can be undertaken in each zone. There are different land use zones under the LEP including residential, commercial and industrial zones. These zones reflect the type of development that is expected to occur in the area.
You can use Council's online property information system to find out what zone your property is and what considerations may apply to your development.
If you determine that you need to lodge a Development Application, the following flowchart shows the major steps in the development process and explains each step in more detail:
Applications and checklists for the different types of development are as follows:
- Development Application Form (50.3KB)
- Development Application Checklist (481.7KB)
- Development Application Checklist - Use of Existing Unapproved Building or Works (784.3KB)
- Development Application Checklist - Commercial, Industrial or Change of Use (486.3KB)
- Complying Development Application Form & Checklist (424.3KB).
More information about different types of development
- Find out if your development needs approval.
- Find out about the key steps in the Development Application process.
Local government approvals for other activities
Your development may include other activities that need other approvals or permits including water, sewer or stormwater works, a septic system or solid fuel heater, and works within the road reserve such as a driveway crossover and tree removal.
We can help you
We offer free pre-lodgement services to help you understand the Development Application process and answer your questions.
If you need more information, please phone our Development Help Desk:
- T: 02 4474 1231
- E: Council's Development Help Desk
- visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.