Have your say on dog exercise areas
Thursday 5 April 2018
Eurobodalla Council is proposing changes to dog exercise areas throughout the shire, including to off-leash, timeshare and prohibited dog beaches.
The changes are proposed as part of a review of Council’s Companion Animal Management Plan, which was brought forward in response to community interest.
New maps have been developed for Council-managed beaches and some reserves, depicting dog exercise and prohibited dog areas to make it easy for residents to see what is proposed.
Under the recommendations, off-leash areas will double from 12 to 24, timeshare arrangements halved from 26 to 13, and prohibited dog areas increase from 16 to 22.
New off-leash beach areas include Long Beach, Surfside, Corrigans Beach, Sunshine Bay, Wimbie Beach, Circuit Beach, North Rosedale, Guerrilla Bay, Congo, Narooma Main, Mystery Bay and Handkerchief Beach.
New grass off-leash areas are proposed for Nelligen, Surf Beach Pony Club and Dalmeny and a trial use of a sports field at Hanging Rock is proposed for dog training purposes.
Where previously Eurobodalla had a mix of timeshare on- and off-leash areas, a single on-leash timeshare arrangement is proposed. The arrangement is based on that adopted by Wollongong City Council, with dogs allowed on-leash at all times except between 9am and 5pm from 1 November to 30 April.
Council’s Director of Planning and Sustainability Lindsay Usher said the changes aimed to reduce confusing timeshare arrangements where possible and balance the needs of the community.
“We think we’ve got a pretty good mix, however we’re keen to know what the community thinks,” he said.
“Our team will be out and about with the proposed new maps speaking to residents at drop-in information sessions in April. You can also view the maps on our website and let us know your thoughts by completing our quick online survey or sending an email to email@example.com.”
Drop in sessions
- Apex Park, Narooma Friday 6 April, 8-10am
- Dalmeny Meet the Makers Markets Sunday 8 April, 8am-1pm
- Village Centre Batemans Bay Tuesday 10 April, 10am-2pm
- The Mossy Café, Mossy Point Friday 13 April, 9-11.30am
- Evans Park, Tuross Head Friday 13 April, 12.30-2.30pm
- Art on the Path, Broulee Sunday 15 April, 7.30am-12.30pm
- SAGE Farmers’ Market, Moruya Tuesday 17 April, 2.30-4.30pm
- Corrigans Reserve, Batehaven Tuesday 17 April, 10am-12pm
- Benny’s Nelligen Store, Nelligen Wednesday 18 April, 9-11am
- Maloneys Beach Café, Maloneys Beach Wednesday 18 April, 12-2pm
- NATA Oval, Narooma Saturday 21 April, 2-4pm
- Moruya Country Markets Saturday 28 April, 7am-1pm