Bodalla Sewerage Scheme
Project: Provide a reticulated pressure sewer scheme to service approximately 150 lots in Bodalla.
Start: Financial Year 2015-16
Expected completion: Financial Year 2018-19
Estimated Construction Cost: $10 million
Council is installing a pressure sewerage system to service Bodalla and constructing a new sewage treatment plant on Potato Point Road. This system will replace the existing on-site sewage management systems, significantly reducing the risk of harm to the environment and public health.
The pressure sewerage system requires a small pump unit to be installed at each property in Bodalla village. This will collect and pump the sewage into a common rising main. The advantages of this system include smaller and shallower pipes, leading to reduced construction costs and reduced environmental and social impacts during construction.
A new sewage treatment plant is being constructed on Potato Point Road to service the existing urban area and allow for moderate growth in the village. The sewage treatment plant design will allow for future duplication of the scheme to accommodate the village of Potato Point. To ensure environmental impacts of the new scheme are minimised, effluent disposal will be via irrigation of surrounding agricultural land. Discharge to Borang Creek will only be during extended wet periods, currently anticipated to be one year in every five.
This project is co-funded by the NSW Government Department of Primary Industries - Water and the Department of Aboriginal Affairs.
- Stage 1: Survey, investigation and design and land acquisition.
- Stage 2: Construction of new services (water supply, power supply and access road) to the sewage treatment plant site.
- Stage 3: Construct the sewage treatment plant and effluent reuse scheme.
- Stage 4: Construct the pressure sewerage scheme.
Sewage treatment plant layout. Click for larger image.
- The Bodalla Sewerage Scheme has become operational as households undergo their final connections.
- TWS contractors have been busy diverting household drainage away from septic tanks and into the new pressure sewer pump units.
- Flows have been received at the new Bodalla Treatment Plant and all is operating as expected.
- Property owners who are required to engage a plumber to make the final connection are being notified in writing with instructions on how to proceed.
- The Bodalla Sewage Treatment Plant has been tested and commissioned and is ready to receive flows from the village via the new sewer rising main.
- The contractor, TWS, will arrange final property connections during September and October. Existing sewer pipes will be disconnected from on-site sewage management systems and connected to the new pressure sewerage system.
- Property owners who are required to engage a plumber to connect their pump unit to their household drainage, will receive the required documentation and information shortly to allow the work to proceed.
- Once all works are complete we will provide a booklet detailing information about the pressure sewerage system and outline the steps required to decommission on-site sewage management systems.
Construction of the sewage treatment plant is almost complete, however, Council has identified some issues with work that are critical to the treatment plant performance. These need to be rectified before Council can allow the treatment plant to accept flows of sewage.
It is regrettable that works have subsequently fallen behind schedule, but Council is working hard to resolve these issues in accordance with the contract.
We would like to provide more certainty to the community about sewage connection timeframes, however, until the issues are resolved to the extent that progress at the treatment plant can recommence, Council cannot provide any further clarity on when the treatment plant will be able to accept sewage flows.
Bodalla property owners can expect a letter from Council soon explaining the situation, and a subsequent letter will be sent once Council has further certainty on connection dates.
- Construction underway at the Bodalla Sewage Treatment Plant (click for larger images):
- Construction of the power supply to the sewage treatment plant is complete.
- Construction of the sewage treatment plant has commenced, with major earthworks underway.
- The tender for the construction of the pressure sewerage scheme reticulation within the village was awarded on the 15 March 2017 to Ted Wilson & Sons Pty Ltd., the same Contractor who is building the sewage treatment plant.
- Construction of the power supply to the sewage treatment plant is underway and is scheduled for completion by mid-March.
- The tender for the construction of the sewage treatment plant was awarded on 10 January 2017 to Ted Wilson & Sons Pty Ltd. They will start construction of the sewage treatment plant in March.
- We anticipate that the tender for the construction of the sewerage reticulation within the village will be awarded in March.
- The tender for the construction of the sewage treatment plant has closed and we plan to award the tender before the end of the year.
- A separate tender for the construction of the sewerage reticulation within the village is now open.
- The design and tender documentation for the sewage treatment plant and effluent reuse scheme is now being finalised, with construction anticipated to commence in early 2017.
- The Review of Environmental Factors for the construction of the sewage treatment plant and effluent irrigation scheme is complete and available for download.
- The incoming water and sewer mains from Potato Point Road to the sewage treatment plant have been completed.
- Construction of a gravel access road which intersects with Potato Point Road and follows the existing power easement has commenced. This road will be sealed for permanent access when construction of the sewage treatment plant is complete.
- The design of the pressure sewerage system servicing each property is almost complete. It is expected that construction will start mid 2017.
- Stage 1 is progressing, with land acquisition complete and the designs of the sewage treatment plant and pressure sewerage scheme 90% complete and under review.
- Stage 2 has commenced, with the construction of water supply and the sewer rising main from Potato Point Road to the sewage treatment plant site underway.
For more information about the Bodalla Sewerage Scheme, please contact Harvey Lane, Water and Sewer Project Engineer:
- T: 02 4474 1342
- E: Harvey Lane