Moruya Library, Arts and Cultural Centre
Project: Expand the existing Moruya Library to deliver a Library, Arts and Cultural Centre
Start: Financial Year 2016-17
Expected completion: Expected completion February 2019.
Funding secured: $1.5 million
Eurobodalla Shire Council is expanding the Moruya Library and also constructing a professional standard exhibition space. The extension will mean larger library and public meeting spaces for learning and business activities.
The new spaces will feature videoconferencing facilities, sound-rated moveable walls for flexible use of the floor space, temperature control to meet professional standards for exhibitions, kitchen facilities, improved areas for staff and additional parking.
This new facility will have 100m2 of exhibition space and will be a major platform for local artists and touring shows.
The project will be implemented in several stages. Once stage one is underway we will pursue further funding for subsequent stages of development.
- Moruya Library will be closed for one month from Thursday 1 November as it undergoes renovations. The Moruya Library will reopen Monday 3 December.
- We are well under way with construction with the base slab being poured early this month. We will now begin to install the frames of the Bas and the library extension.
- Cumnock Constructions has established on site to begin construction. Fencing has been erected and excavation will begin shortly.
- Council has engaged Cumnock Constructions Sustainability to construct the Moruya Library, Arts and Cultural Centre.
- Council received a donation from Basil Sellers AM as a contribution to the construction and fit out of the gallery space. Basil Sellers has a passionate commitment to the perpetual growth of the community’s perception and understanding of, and engagement in, art. The exhibition centre will be named after Basil Sellers AM for his significant contribution to the arts in Eurobodalla.
- Council is currently seeking Requests for Tenders for this project.
- Planning is underway regarding the renovations to the inside layout of the library.
- Munns Sly Moore Architects have been engaged to develop plans for the library building extension and interesting surrounding outdoor spaces.
- Moruya Library is set to become the Moruya Library, Arts and Cultural Centre thanks to a $500,000 grant from the Australian Government. The funding complements a $200,000 library development grant already received from the NSW Government for the project.
The footprint of the new extension and building
The images below are architect impressions of what the new Library, Arts and Cultural Centre may look like (click for larger images).
For more information about the Moruya Library expansion, please contact Carl Ginger, Project Engineer:
- T: 02 4474 7321
- E: Carl Ginger
Related media releases
- 17 December 2015 Moruya Library Expansion a Reality