For pet owners
There can be a lot of joy in owning a pet, however, there are also responsibilities to consider when caring for your pet. This page contains information about pet registration, microchipping and tips for choosing a pet to suit your home and family. There is also information about lost and found animals, how to manage your dog's barking, keeping chickens in your backyard, and what you can do if you are impacted by someone else's pet.
Wherever possible, we prefer to share information with pet owners about their responsibilities rather than imposing fines.
These resources offer more information about your rights and responsibilities:
- Dog-owner responsibilities pamphlet (480 KB)
- Companion animals/responsible pet ownership from the NSW Government Office of Local Government
- Companion Animals Act 1998
- RSPCA Australia
- NSW Animal Welfare League.
We can help you
If you have any questions about animals or feedback to improve this information, please phone Council's Rangers:
- T: 4474 1019
- E: Council Rangers via our feedback form.