Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Fund
The Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Fund was established in January 2020 and provided the opportunity for Australians and also those overseas to donate to a fund that would assist Eurobodalla residents impacted by the devastating 2019/20 bushfires. To ensure segregation from Council funds a new bank account was opened. The fund received Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status from the Australian Tax Office (ATO), therefore enabling a tax deduction to those donating to the fund.
A Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Management Committee was formed to administer this fund. Members of the committee comprise the Mayor, Deputy Mayor, General Manager and two respected community members.
The committee's functions include:
- determining the process to disperse funds, including eligibility criteria
- ensuring ethical processes are in place
- a reasonable vetting process is applied to applications so that there is a level of confidence that applications are bona fide
- ensuring compliance with privacy legislation
- ensuring compliance with ATO legislation
- ensuring Council’s website is updated with relevant information.
Funds and donors
In total 137 donors have contributed $319,503 to the fund. Individual donations have ranged from $10 to $70,000.
As of 24 March 2021, $339,522 of the donated funds have been disbursed, including:
- $229,500 distributed to 170 residents who suffered significant damage to their primary place residence. Each applicant received $1350.
- $80,398 distributed to seven community related groups with a focus on bushfire recovery:
- River of Art Festival - $25,000 shared by three chambers for street art; murals painted in community spaces in Batemans Bay, Moruya and Narooma.
- Narooma & District Chamber of Commerce - $9,000 for a Narooma Community event - tourism brand re-launch and tribute to emergency services.
- Broulee Psychology - $10,000 for small group mental health sessions.
- Batemans Bay Business & Tourism Chamber -$8,139 for pop-up drive-in theatre events. 50 front row places reserved for emergency service volunteers.
- Just Dance Eurobodalla - $9,300 for 5 outdoor "Groove is in the Park" dance events.
- CABBI (Creative Arts Batemans Bay) - $8,930 for Postcards from the fire exhibition, Mogo.
- Sam Miers- $9,979 for Music therapy and healing, plus podcast 'When the smoke clears'.
We've received positive feedback from fund recipients, including an appreciation of support as residents embark on the recovery process.
The Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status from the Australian Tax Office (ATO) will expire on 11 November 2021, coinciding with the closure of the Eurobodalla Disaster Relief donations bank account. Donations will continue to be received and disbursed until 11.59pm on 11 November 2021.
- Account name: Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Fund
- BSB: 082 902
- Account number: 85 039 7999
- Details: include your name/business name
- To request a tax receipt, please notify us of your donation by emailing email@example.com