Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Fund
The Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Fund was established in January 2020 and provided the opportunity for Australians and also those overseas to donate to a fund that would assist Eurobodalla residents impacted by the devastating 2019/20 bushfires. To ensure segregation from Council funds a newly created bank account was opened. The fund received Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status from the Australian Tax Office (ATO), therefore enabling a tax deduction to those donating to the fund.
A Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Management Committee was formed to administer this fund. Members of the committee comprise the Mayor, Deputy Mayor, General Manager and two respected community members.
The committee's functions include:
- determining the process to disperse funds, including eligibility criteria
- ensuring ethical processes are in place
- a reasonable vetting process is applied to applications so that there is a level of confidence that applications are bona fide
- ensuring compliance with privacy legislation
- ensuring compliance with ATO legislation
- ensuring Council’s website is updated with relevant information.
Funds and donors
In total 137 donors have contributed $319,503 to the fund. Individual donations have ranged from $10 to $70,000.
As of 30 November 2020, $310,000 of the donated funds have been disbursed, including:
- $229,500 distributed to 170 residents who suffered significant damage to their primary place residence. Each applicant received $1350.
- $80,398 distributed to 7 community related groups with a focus on bushfire recovery.
Positive feedback has been received from those who received funding, including an appreciation of support as residents embark on the recovery process.
The fund will close in November 2021 (a two year duration, as per ATO requirements). Until then donations will continue to be received and disbursed.
- Account name: Eurobodalla Disaster Relief Fund
- BSB: 082 902
- Account number: 85 039 7999
- Details: include your name/business name
- To request a tax receipt, please notify us of your donation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org