Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Water, waste and recycling

Frequently asked questions

On this page you'll find answers to commonly asked questions about water and sewer in Eurobodalla.

Questions about water supply

Who supplies our water?

Council supplies water to urban areas in Eurobodalla. Water from Moruya River is pumped to Deep Creek Dam and then on to the Northern Water Treatment Plant. From there it enters the distribution network. During high peak demand (generally the summer period) the southern part of the shire is supplied with water from the Tuross River via the Southern Water Treatment Plant.

How much does water cost?

Fees are adjusted annually. For the 2020-2021 financial year the following charges apply:

  • Residential water service charge: $340 per year
  • Water usage: $3.75 per 1000 litres

What do the costs cover?

The costs cover water harvesting, storage, treatment and transfer to properties.

Where is my water meter?

If you are connected to Council's water supply, your water meter is probably located along your front boundary. Water meters are read from left to right. Phone the Council Rates Team on 02 4474 1000 if you need help finding your meter.

Can I get my water meter moved?

Contact Council on 02 4474 1000 to apply for a Water Meter Relocation. A private works order can be arranged at the expense of the property owner.

How do I get water connected to my property?

Drop in to Council at the Moruya office, Batemans Bay depot or Narooma depot to collect and complete a Water Meter Application form. Meters are generally installed within two weeks of application. The installation of a standard 20mm urban water meter costs $1000. (Price correct for 2020-2021 financial year. Figures are adjusted annually)

How will I know if water restrictions are in place?

During droughts and periods of low rainfall, Council advertises water restrictions on its website and through the media.

Can I have my own rainwater tank?

Yes, water tanks are encouraged in the Eurobodalla to reduce the demand on the reticulated water supply. Tank water can be used in your garden, to flush your toilets and in your washing machine.

I have low water pressure. Can this be fixed?

Unfortunately, the higher the elevation of your house, the less water pressure is available. A qualified plumber may be able to install an in-line booster pump to increase your water pressure. If your pressure drops suddenly please call Council on 02 4474 1000.

I have no water coming out of my taps. What do I do?

Occasionally water needs to be turned off for a short period of time for maintenance or repairs. Residents will receive a flyer at their home regarding any planned water supply interruptions.

If you haven't been notified of a water outage and your neighbour's water is not affected:

  1. Check that your water meter hasn't been accidentally turned off.
  2. Look around your yard for evidence that a pipe may be broken and leaking.
  3. Phone Council on 02 4474 1000 to report the situation.

I see a burst pipe or a leaking water meter. What do I do?

Phone Council on 02 4474 1000 as soon as possible.

Questions about water quality

How much chlorine is in the water supply? Why?

Sufficient chlorine is added in accordance with the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines to ensure the water is suitable and safe for human consumption.

How much fluoride is in the water supply? Why?

Fluoride is added to the maximum of 1 milligram per litre in accordance with the NSW Department of Health guidelines. After consultation with the community the proposal was adopted by Council in 2011 to assist with dental care.

How can I be sure town water is safe to drink?

Council must supply water which is compliant with the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines

How often is the water tested?

Testing is carried out continuously at the water treatments plants and weekly in the field. The results are published on our Drinking water quality summaries web page.

Am I drinking recycled water?

No. While some of Council's treated effluent from its Sewage Treatment Works is used to irrigate sports fields and parks, the water from your tap travels along a different system of pipes.

How can I get a water sample tested?

Contact Council's Environmental Services on 02 4474 1000 to discuss possible testing.

How will I know if there is something wrong with the water and if I need to boil it?

Council will issue print, online and radio notices providing updates and recommendations if the water quality is affected.

I have dirty water coming out of my taps. What can I do?

Start by flushing the taps. If the water doesn't clear after 10 minutes, phone Council on 02 4474 1000.

Questions about sewage

What happens to the sewage from my home?

Council operates and maintains the transport of sewage from the property junction to the sewage treatment plant. The wastewater is then treated and either used to irrigate sporting fields or transferred to ocean outfalls.

How do I get a sewage system connected to my property?

Generally for urban properties, sewer junctions are already available and the property owner must engage and pay for a licensed plumber to connect the dwelling to the junction.

How much are the sewer rates?

For the 2020-2021 financial year the standard residential sewer charge is $990 per year. Fees are adjusted annually.

The price covers the cost of transferring sewage from the property to the sewage treatment plant, treatment and reuse/disposal.

How do I know if my sewage is connected to Council's reticulated system?

The townships of Tilba, Mystery Bay, Potato Point, Congo, South Durras, Nelligen and Nerrigundah treat their waste on-site with sewage management systems such as septic tanks and biocycles. Some new subdivisions such as Bay Ridge Estate are connected to Council's pressure sewerage system. All other urban areas are serviced by Council's reticulated sewer system using traditional gravity fed methods or pressure sewerage systems.

My toilet is clogged and won't flush properly. What do I do?

Call a licensed plumber. Generally Council is not permitted to carry out water or sewer works on private property.

Sewage is coming out of the junction at the boundary of my property. What do I do?

Call a licensed plumber. Generally Council is not permitted to carry out water or sewer works on private property.

I have a burst pipe on or near my property. What do I do?

Phone Council on 02 4474 1000 as soon as possible. If Council staff find that the burst pipe is an internal drainage line on your property you will need to engage a plumber.

My on-site sewage management system is leaking. What do I do?

On-site sewage management systems such as septic tanks and biocycle systems are the responsibility of property owners. NSW Health's Easy Septic Guide provides information.

The red light on my pressure sewerage system is flashing. What do I do?

Read the instruction booklet provided by Council when your unit was installed. If you cannot find it phone Council on 02 4474 1000.