Moruya Showground bar and amenities building
Project: Replace the existing bar and individual toilet blocks at the Moruya Showground with a new single bar/canteen and amenities building. Relocate and refurbish the heritage shed.
Timeframe: November 2022 to December 2023
Cost and funding: $902,000. This project is being delivered with the help of the Black Summer Bushfire Relief fund.
Last updated: August 2023
We are working to:
- upgrade the showground to better support onsite events
- demolish the existing bar and toilet blocks
- relocate and refurbish the heritage shed
- construct a new single building with improved bar/canteen facilities and toilet amenities, and access for people with disability
- install seating, landscaping.
Benefits to the community:
- a modern, safe and accessible bar, canteen, and toilet facilities
- improved facility connectivity, such as the heritage shed's new location alongside the new office and administration building
- a multi-functional asset to better serve the community
- a facility that can cater as an evacuation centre, such as for the bushfire emergencies
- a purpose-designed building and landscaping - endorsed by Council's Heritage Advisory - that will complement and enhance the heritage site.
We worked with key stakeholders and user groups early in the project to identify design requirements and how this space is used.
This work is a recommendation of the Moruya Showground Landscape Masterplan, adopted by Council Tuesday 14 August 2018; to construct a new functional facility designed to complement this heritage site.
- Council is due to start construction in September 2023. We'll begin with demolishing the existing canteen structure, followed by a build program of approximately six months.
- The contracted architect prepared concept designs of the new facility in alignment with Heritage Advice Guidelines.
- Council shared the draft concept plans with the Moruya Showground Management Committee for modifications prior to finalisation.
- We are developing detailed plans to support the final design.
- Construction is due to start in mid 2023.
- View artist impression of new building (220.6 KB)
For more information please contact Council's Open Spaces Project Manager, Chris Teague:
- T: 02 4474 1096
- E: Chris Teague