Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Development and planning


An owner-builder is a person authorised to do owner-builder work under a permit issued by NSW Fair Trading.

An Owner-Builder Permit allows people who have the skill or capacity to build their own house or supervise construction by coordinating sub-contractors.

You will need an Owner-Builder Permit if:

  1. you want to supervise, coordinate or do building work on your home that is worth more than $10,000 (including labour and materials) and you have decided not to use a licensed builder
  2. the work relates to a single-dwelling house, dual occupancy (in special circumstances) or a secondary dwelling that requires development consent with a Development Application or a Complying Development Certificate.

Although an Owner-Builder Permit is not a builder's licence, as the owner-builder, you are responsible for the building work - just like a licensed builder would be.

You must provide your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) with a copy of your Owner-Builder Permit before the start of your building work. You can refer to our construction process page for more detailed information about the construction process.


Find out everything you need to know about becoming an owner-builder with our information kit and flowchart of the owner-builder process:

Frequently asked questions

You can find more information, including answers to these commonly asked questions and topics about becoming an owner-builder, on the NSW Government Fair Trading website:

  • What is owner-builder work?
  • Should I do owner-builder work?
  • What are my responsibilities?
  • Do I need an Owner-Builder Permit?
  • How do I get an Owner-Builder Permit?
  • What are my limitations under the permit?
  • Approvals needed for building work
  • Use licensed tradespeople
  • Contracts
  • Compulsory home building compensation cover
  • Other insurances
  • False or misleading information with your application
  • Dispute handling.

We can help you

If you need more information about owner-builders, please contact Council's Development Help Desk:

  • T: 4474 1231
  • E: Council's Development Help Desk
  • visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.