Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Development and planning

The construction process

Once your Development Application is approved and before any building works start, you must:

  • have a Construction Certificate (CC)
  • appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) to undertake inspections during construction.

A Construction Certificate is an approval that certifies that:

  • the specified plans and specifications will comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA), including relevant associated structural standards and codes
  • the detailed construction plans and specifications are 'not inconsistent' with the development consent
  • all 'prior to issue of Construction Certificate' conditions of the development consent have been satisfied.

The following flowchart shows the major steps in the construction process:

Council's Certification Team issue Construction Certificates. You can also obtain a CC from a private Accredited Certifier who has appropriate accreditation from the NSW Government Building Professionals Board.

Once you have applied for your Construction Certificate and it has been issued, building works can then start. During construction your PCA will be required to undertake critical stage inspections, ie, building compliance inspections.

This page provides a general overview of the construction approval and inspection process. This page is a guide only and does not cover every scenario. Processes may vary for some developments based on legislative requirements.

If you are continuing to the construction stage and proposing to lodge a Construction Certificate Application with Council, and you appoint Council as your PCA, you should follow the steps detailed below.

+ Expand all information for print

Step 1: applying for a Construction Certificate

A Construction Certificate (CC) is required after development consent is issued and before any work is carried out.

A CC is a type of building approval that certifies the proposed work will comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA), relevant standards and matters specified in a development consent and relevant legislation.

A CC Application may be lodged at the same time as your Development Application (DA) or at any time after the lodgement of the DA. Lodging the CC Application concurrently will improve the processing time of the CC as Council's Accredited Certifiers will be able to undertake an assessment of your proposal while the DA is being assessed.

To apply to Council for your CC, please complete the application form below and return it to Council along with your plans, the relevant application fee, and specifications and construction detail:

You can phone or email Council's Development Help Desk to obtain a fee quote for lodgement of your application:

  • You can lodge your Construction Certificate Application with Council's Development Help Desk staff in person:
    • at the customer service centre, corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya
    • between 8.30am and 4.30pm. Please note: ensure you arrive before 4pm so there is sufficient time to thoroughly check and lodge your application. Please make sure you have your completed application form and required copies of plans and documents with you. You will also need to pay your application fees at the time of lodgement.
  • You can email your application to Council's Development Help Desk staff at:
  • If you are mailing your application, include your payment with your application to avoid delay in lodgement. You can mail your application to:
    • Development Help Desk, Eurobodalla Shire Council, PO Box 99 MORUYA NSW 2537.

A development consent and CC are not required where an application for a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) is made.

Complying development is a type of approval for development that meets all of the relevant standards in The State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008, Building Regulation and other relevant legislation has been satisfied.

A CDC is also required before commencement of works.

Step 2: assessment of the Construction Certification Application

Once lodged, your Construction Certificate Application goes through an initial review and is assigned to an Accredited Certifier. The Accredited Certifier will then check the Construction Certificate Application and ensure they are satisfied that:

  • the Construction Certificate (CC) plans and specifications are consistent with the development consent
  • the development complies with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and all relevant technical standards
  • the required conditions of development consent have been complied with. For example, provision of security deposits, BASIX energy efficiency and water saving requirements, preparation and submission of specialist details and reports, or any other matters required to be submitted with the CC
  • all fees and development contributions have been paid.

You will be advised if further information is required prior to determination of the CC.

Step 3: prior to the issue of a Construction Certificate

The following items may be required prior to the issue of a Construction Certificate (CC), if applicable to your application, and you can submit the information any time prior to determination to prevent delay in the issuing of your approval.

Section 94, 94A and 64 contributions

Development contributions are payments made by developers to Council for the provision of public infrastructure. The contributions allow us to provide public amenities and services to meet the increased demands created by the new development. These can include shared pathways, libraries or roads.

The types of contributions that could be required as part of a development for certain proposals are: Section 94, 94A and 64 contributions. These are required to be paid prior to the release of the CC.

For further information relating to Section 94, 94A and 64 contributions and how they are calculated, please refer to the Development Contributions section of this website.

Long service levy

The NSW Government has placed a levy on all building and construction work valued at $25,000 or more (inclusive of GST). The levy rate is 0.35% of the total cost of the work as determined by the consent/certifying authority. The building applicant, or the person for whom the work is being done, is liable to pay the levy.

Council is an agent for the collection of long service levy payments and you are encouraged to pay the levy when lodging your CC.

Conditions of consent

It is important to carefully read your development consent as there may be conditions that need to be addressed prior to the issue of the Construction Certificate. These conditions will be listed in the development consent under the heading 'Prior to the Issue of the Construction Certificate'. The conditions will specify the matters that are required to be addressed or the information that is required to be lodged.  Your Construction Certificate cannot be issued until these specific conditions have been met.

Step 4: Council issues a Construction Certificate

If all of the items have been addressed in Step 3, including the conditions of development consent, you will be sent formal determination and a Construction Certificate (CC) in accordance with the provisions of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.  You will also receive a copy of the stamped approved plans and specifications with your CC.

The Construction Certificate lapses with the development consent under which it was issued unless building work is physically commenced before the development consent lapses.

Step 5: appointing Council as Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)

When Council is nominated as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) it is required to inspect the building work during the construction to ensure it complies with the development consent, Construction Certificate and other legislation.

Generally, you will have appointed Council as the PCA at the time of your application for the Construction Certificate. If so, you will receive a separate letter enclosed with your CC identifying required inspections, including critical stage inspections - refer to step 7.  Please note that if critical stage inspections are not undertaken, the law prevents the issue of an Occupation Certificate.

If you already have a CC issued by another Accredited Certifier and wish to appoint Council as the PCA, please complete the nomination on the Application for Certificates and Appointment of Principal Certifying Authority for Building Works form referred to in Step 1 and lodge with Council.

Step 6: notifying Council before construction starts

You must notify Council of your intention to commence works at least two days before any building works start. This must be a formal, written notification that includes details of the date on which the work is intended to commence.

You must also provide the following information to Council before construction starts:

Builder's details

If you appoint a builder to undertake your residential works, Council will require the builder's name, address and NSW licence number.

Home Building Compensation Fund

If you appoint a builder and your residential works exceed $20,000, your builder is required to obtain a certificate of insurance under the Home Building Compensation Fund and you will need to provide a copy of this certificate to Council. This certificate must show the correct property details to which the certificate relates and identify all work covered under the building contract eg, swimming pool and dwelling.

Owner-Builder Permit

Should you choose to complete the work as an owner-builder, and your residential works exceed $10,000, you must obtain an Owner-Builder Permit from NSW Fair Trading, and submit a copy to Council. Permits must show the correct property details to which the Permit relates and Council's Development Application number.

For any enquiries relating to the issue of an Owner-Builder Permit, please contact NSW Fair Trading on 13 32 20, or visit their website.

Step 7: ensuring your PCA conducts critical stage inspections

The Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 specifies critical stage inspections that are mandatory and, if missed, you may not be able to get an Occupation Certificate. You need to be aware of these inspections and ensure they are conducted at the appropriate time.

Council will provide a letter (usually with your Construction Certificate) that includes a list of the mandatory inspections required throughout the construction of the building.

How do I book an inspection?

Either the contractor (builder) or the owner-builder can request inspections from Council by contacting us at least 24 hours before an inspection is required as follows:

For both of these methods, you will need to provide the following information:

  • the Development Application (DA) or Construction Certificate (CC) number
  • the development site address
  • the owner's name
  • the type of inspection required, eg, footing, frame, wet area
  • the date the inspection is required
  • the site contact name and number.

Please note that we cannot guarantee any inspection time preferences at the time of booking. Should a specific time or morning inspection be required, please phone on the morning of the scheduled inspection and ask to speak to the Accredited Certifier directly regarding your time preference.

If you have appointed a private Accredited Certifier as your PCA, you will need to contact your Certifier to confirm when and how to book your critical stage inspections. NOTE: Council is still required to undertake all plumbing inspections.

Please ensure that you continue to monitor the conditions of your consent during the various stages of construction.

Step 8: PCA issues an Occupation Certificate

An Occupation Certificate is required prior to the occupation or use of any building and must be issued by the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). The Occupation Certificate verifies that the PCA is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in accordance with the relevant Building Code of Australia (BCA) classification and development consent conditions.

Before issuing an Occupation Certificate your PCA will consider the structural adequacy, fire safety and the health, safety and amenity of future occupants of the building. The PCA must also ensure that relevant development consent conditions and other regulatory requirements have been complied with.

The PCA may issue an Interim Occupation Certificate for the whole or any part of the building prior to the completion of all works. This may be utilised when the development is being conducted in stages.

A Final Occupation Certificate cannot be issued until all critical stage inspections have been undertaken, including a final inspection. You can apply for an Occupation Certificate at any time during the construction process if you nominated Council as your PCA. However, Council will not issue the certificate until a satisfactory Final Plumbing and Drainage inspection has been undertaken.

You can apply for an Occupation Certificate by completing the following application:

You can email your application to Council's Development Admin staff at:

You can mail your application to:

  • Development Admin, Eurobodalla Shire Council, PO Box 99 MORUYA NSW 2537.

We can help you

If you need more information, please phone our Development Help Desk:

  • T: 02 4474 1231
  • E: Development Help Desk
  • visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.