Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Building and certification

Step 8: PCA issues an Occupation Certificate

An Occupation Certificate is required prior to the occupation or use of any building and must be issued by the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). The Occupation Certificate verifies that the PCA is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in accordance with the relevant Building Code of Australia (BCA) classification and development consent conditions.

Before issuing an Occupation Certificate your PCA will consider the structural adequacy, fire safety and the health, safety and amenity of future occupants of the building. The PCA must also ensure that relevant development consent conditions and other regulatory requirements have been complied with.

The PCA may issue an Interim Occupation Certificate for the whole or any part of the building prior to the completion of all works. This may be utilised when the development is being conducted in stages.

A Final Occupation Certificate cannot be issued until all critical stage inspections have been undertaken, including a final inspection. You can apply for an Occupation Certificate at any time during the construction process if you nominated Council as your PCA. However, Council will not issue the certificate until a satisfactory Final Plumbing and Drainage inspection has been undertaken.

You can apply for an Occupation Certificate by completing the following application:

You can email your application to Council's Development Admin staff at:

You can mail your application to:

  • Development Admin, Eurobodalla Shire Council, PO Box 99 MORUYA NSW 2537.