Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Development

Step 11: issue of Occupation Certificate

Following completion of all critical stage inspections, and if Council is satisfied that the building work is compliant, you will be issued with an Occupation Certificate, however, you will need to apply to Council to obtain this certificate. You can make application for an Occupation Certificate at any time during the construction process.

An Occupation Certificate, issued under the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979, allows a person to occupy and use a new building or change the use of an existing building.

An Occupation Certificate verifies that the Principal Certifying Authority (Council or a private Accredited Certifier) is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in accordance with the requirements of the Building Code of Australia (BCA). The BCA sets the standards for the design and construction of different classes of buildings to protect health, safety and amenity. There are two types of Occupation Certificates:

  • A Final Occupation Certificate allows commencement of either the occupation or use of a new building (including alterations/extensions), or the new use of an existing building resulting from a change in its use.
  • An Interim Occupation Certificate allows commencement of either the occupation or use of a partially completed building, or of a new use of part of an existing building, resulting from a change of use of the building. If an Interim Occupation Certificate is issued, a Final Occupation Certificate is still required when all building work or the change of use is complete. A Final Occupation Certificate revokes any Occupation Certificate issued previously.

An Occupation Certificate is required for any new building work, or change of use of a building, that has development consent or a Complying Development Certificate.

Occupation Certificates are not required for buildings which are exempt development.