Batemans Bay Regional Aquatic, Arts and Leisure Centre
Council is planning a new Regional Aquatic, Arts and Leisure Centre on the southern end of the Mackay Park site in Batemans Bay.
- October 2019: Development application submitted
About the project
To apply for grants from the NSW and Australian governments to build the centre, Council developed a preliminary concept and business case for a $46 million development that is both affordable and meet the needs of Eurobodalla’s diverse community.
Council applied for funding to develop an indoor year-round aquatic centre which would replace the existing 50-metre outdoor pool with multiple, purpose-built aquatic spaces, and an arts centre. The preliminary concept and business case includes:
- an aquatic centre with a 25-metre, eight-lane pool with ramp access, separate 10m warm-water therapy pool and spa, freeform indoor leisure pool that includes learn-to-swim and toddler areas, water-play splash pad, waterslides, gym, group fitness and wellness area, and amenities
- an arts and cultural centre with a large flexible, flat floor auditorium with retractable seating for up to 500 people, dressing rooms, green room and storage, gallery/exhibition space and storage, rehearsal/ dance studio/ music room, ‘wet’ arts workshop space and storage (for pottery, painting, etc), ‘dry’ arts workshop space and storage (for drawing, textiles, etc), meeting and multi-purpose rooms and amenities
- shared facilities including a foyer, café, visitor information service and associated retail (relocated from existing Visitor Info Centre and Community Centre), administration offices, and plant and support services.
At the Ordinary Council Meeting on 27 August 2019, councillors considered a final concept and voted to progress the project to the Development Application phase.
We aim to start construction in mid 2020, opening the centre in early 2022.
- Read more in the 27 August 2019 Ordinary Council Meeting agenda and minutes.
For more information, please contact Lindsay Usher, Director Planning and Sustainability Services:
- T: 02 4474 1304
- E: Lindsay Usher
This video simulation of the final concept provides insight into the look and feel for the new facility.
The visual details presented – layout of furniture and equipment for example – are constrained by software, with detailed design now underway in preparation for submission of a development application.
We're excited to share this virtual tour, enjoy!