Beach Road Safety Upgrade
Project: Upgrading Beach Road, Batemans Bay, between Miller Street and Golf Links Drive
NSW Government funding:
- $1.8million Safer Roads - Saving Lives on Country Roads program
- $300,000 Regional Roads Repair program
Timeframe: November 2019 to December 2021
Last updated: February 2020
Beach Road is Eurobodalla's busiest road leading from the Batemans Bay CBD through to many suburbs to the south and eventually on to Moruya via George Bass Drive.
Following a significant number of crashes in recent years we have identified the section of Beach Road between Miller Street and Golf Links Drive as a priority for a road safety upgrade.
The completed works will create safer travel for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians, reducing road related trauma and the cost of crashes to our community.
The project design includes extending the median islands to reduce the risk of rear end collisions by preventing motorists from turning right in/out of driveways. A central median island will extend from the existing median near Miller Street and continue south to connect with the concrete island adjacent to the right turn bay into the Club Catalina car park. Along this section of Beach Road driveway access will be restricted to left-in/left-out only.
To see where the median will be installed download this diagram:
To see traffic flow will be affected take a look at these diagrams:
- Traffic flow changes - Beach Road eastern properties (833 KB)
- Traffic flow changes - Beach Road western properties (838 KB)
To adapt to sea level rise and cater for increasing property development we will also undertake the following works:
- raise the level of the road by 220mm
- provide lane widths at a minimum of 3.35 metres
- rebuild the pathways on either side of the road
- replace existing concrete driveways from the kerb to property boundaries
- upgrade the stormwater network
- renew the water mains.
The work is part of our ongoing program to improve and maintain the road network for current and future generations.
- Our construction crews are gearing up to get this show on the road by the end of February.
- The plan is to work on one side of the road at a time, wherever possible, to minimise the interruption to traffic.
- First up we'll tackle the inland side, upgrading the stormwater network and replacing the old kerb and gutter.
- We'll have to close one northbound lane to give the crews a bit of space to work so allow a little extra time to travel through the area.
- We recommend pedestrians use the seaside pathway while we work on the inland side of the road.
- Our engineers and designers are hard at work finalising the plans for the Beach Road upgrade.
- We plan to kick off works in February when school has returned and the tourist numbers decrease.
- We will notify affected property owners and residents as required throughout the project.
For more information, please contact our Design Coordinator, Geoff Armstrong:
- T: 02 4474 1251
- E: Geoff Armstrong