Garlandtown Bridge widening
Project: Upgrading the existing bridge to accommodate larger transport vehicles and improve road safety
Cost: $1.09 million
Funding: Restart NSW - $691,708 and Council contribution - $400,000
Timeframe: April 2019 to June 2020
Although structurally sound, the existing bridge on North Head Drive has been identified as inadequate for transport needs. The narrow lanes are not suitable for pedestrians, cyclists and Higher Mass Limit (HML) vehicles which need to access Moruya Airport.
The proposed upgrade involves widening the existing bridge to provide two 3.5-metre wide lanes with a 2-metre wide shoulder on both sides. Additionally, the bridge approaches will be realigned and widened to meet current standards for a regional road.
The project involves the following works:
- survey, investigation and design
- widening of bridge deck from 6.7m to 11m
- widening and realignment of the bridge approaches totaling 235 metres.
The project forms part of Council’s Asset Management Strategy and long term financial plan for the management and improvement of Council’s transport assets. It will contribute to a safe, efficient and integrated transport network.
- While the preliminary design review has been progressing we have completed a geotechnical report.
- Some electrical infrastructure is in the area so we are exploring our options to relocate the power.
- Design works are continuing for the bridge and associated road widening.
- Drilling to determine the ground conditions has been undertaken and the foundations are being designed.
- Initial works have begun to investigate the characteristics of the existing road and ground near the bridge.
- The findings will help determine what is required to upgrade the road and to widen the bridge.
- Works will occur from Bali Hi Access Road to Bruce Cameron Drive at the Airport turnoff.
- Preliminary discussion with adjacent landowners and survey works and have been undertaken.
- Council has awarded the contract for the design of the project to BridgeDesign after a competitive public tender process. BridgeDesign officially commenced works.
- Road construction works will begin once the design is complete and bridge construction will begin after our tender is awarded.
For more information about the Garlandtown Bridge widening project, please contact our Support Services Engineer, Royce Toohey:
- T: 02 4474 1391
- E: Council