Hanging Rock, Corrigans Beach and Observation Point Planning
Project: Recreation planning for Hanging Rock sporting precinct, Corrigans Beach Reserve and Observation Point Reserve.
Funding: Funds from Council’s Recreation and Open Space allocation supported by a contribution from the Australian Government’s Building Better Regions Fund.
Timeframe: August 2019 - June 2020
- Our consultants are developing a site analysis and schematic plans.
- The planning consultants are using feedback gained from community members in September.
- Once complete, the site analysis and schematic plans will be considered by Council and inform the next stage of community engagement.
- Planning consultants held initial consultation with stakeholder groups.
- We ran a community survey to gather broad input about the reserve, which was open from 16 to 30 September 2019. Input was used to inform planning process for the area and the wider locality.
- Council is preparing meetings between stakeholder groups and planning consultants.
We are preparing a new plan of management for the Hanging Rock sporting precinct and Corrigans Beach Reserve (Crown Reserve 66122), plus Observation Point Reserve (Crown Reserve 60913) in Batehaven.
We are also preparing Landscape Masterplans that will cover this area as well as operational land at Hanging Rock which includes:
- Batemans Bay Library
- University of Wollongong campus,
- TAFE Illawarra
- Batemans Bay Basketball Stadium, and
- Batemans Bay skatepark.
Together these linked plans make up the project study area. The plans will guide budget allocations and help attract grant funding to invest in tourism, sport and recreation for the Batemans Bay community. The project will also meet several high priority Recreation and Open Space Strategy actions.
Hanging Rock and Corrigans Beach Reserve Plan of Management
This Plan of Management (POM) will provide management strategies for Hanging Rock sporting land including car parking and recreation areas adjacent to Batemans Bay Boat Ramp and Marine Rescue as well as Corrigans Beach recreation areas and the Batemans Bay Beach Resort. It will also cover Observation Point Reserve. The POM will guide how these sites can be developed and managed, as well as operational decision-making for up to ten years. It will also fulfil our obligations under the Crown Land Management Act 2016, the Local Government Act 1993 and ROSS Action E29.
The landscape masterplans will deliver ROSS Actions N17 and N19 and complement the other planning projects to protect environmental and cultural values. They will also help these areas to reach their potential as attractive and functional areas for businesses, sport and recreation groups, residents and visitors to Eurobodalla.
The masterplans will map current and future infrastructure, facilities and landscaping to guide site improvements and developments for:
- Hanging Rock sporting fields and facilities including the tennis courts, sailing club, remote control car club plus foreshore, recreation and parking areas adjacent to the Batemans Bay boat ramp and Marine Rescue
- Corrigans Beach recreation areas including the Variety Inclusive Playground, and foreshore, parkland and open space areas
- Observation Point including view areas and walking trails and parking
- Operational land that hosts Batemans Bay Library, University of Wollongong campus, TAFE Illawarra and Batemans Bay skatepark.
For more information please contact Recreation Planner, Steve Picton:
- T: 4474 1258
- E: Steve Picton