Moruya Shellfish Hatchery
Project: build a shellfish hatchery to contribute to ongoing, reliable supply of oyster and mussel spat.
Timing: Late 2018 to mid 2020.
Funding: grant funded under the Australian Government’s Regional Jobs and Investment Package.
Eurobodalla Council has secured grant funding to construct a shellfish hatchery at Moruya Airport. The hatchery will supply oyster spat and mussel spat to local estuaries and other farmers in NSW and further afield.
Following a tender process, Council is in negotiations with a tenderer to deliver this project. A report considering the tenders was presented to Council on 11 December 2018. A Heads of Agreement document has been signed with the tenderer, Sea Perfect Pty Ltd, which has allowed work on the project to commence whilst tender negotiations are being concluded.
The principal of Sea Perfect Pty Ltd, Ian Duthie, visited the site in May 2019 and work on obtaining the necessary approvals has commenced with the assistance of the NSW Department of Primary Industries.
One major aim of the project is to meet a major challenge for the shellfish industry of sourcing reliable, quality oyster spat.
The state-of-the-art facility will be built on land at Moruya Airport and leased to a commercial operator.
The grant funded work will deliver:
- a land-based shellfish hatchery to grow the spat to ideal commercial juvenile shellfish
- aquaculture training facilities for workers and students
- a dedicated research and development space for ongoing scientific breeding and species development
- an export accredited packing centre to meet overseas demand for shellfish, which can also be used by other food producers to value-add, pack and despatch their produce
- a tourism facility where visitors can learn about the industry and enjoy tasting and farm gate sales.
To find out more, contact Divisional Manager, Property and Commercial Services, Andrew Greenway:
- T: 02 4474 1351
- E: Andrew Greenway