Narooma Flat Tourism and Recreation Planning
Project: Tourism and recreation planning for the Wagonga Inlet foreshore and various Narooma sport and recreation precincts.
Funding: Australian Government Building Better Regions Fund, and funds from Recreation and Open Space allocation
Timeframe: April - September 2019
We are undertaking a series of linked planning projects for the Narooma flat area, which will deliver tourism planning and meet high-priority actions in our Recreation and Open Space Strategy (ROSS). We will work with businesses, sport and recreation groups and the community to gather input and feedback throughout the process.
Together these linked plans will guide budget allocations and help attract grant funding to invest in tourism, sport and recreation for the Narooma community.
Tourism Destination Masterplan for Wagonga Inlet Foreshore
This plan will help position the Narooma foreshore to reach its potential as a highly attractive and functional area for businesses, sport and recreation groups, residents and visitors. The goal is to design a tourism and recreation precinct that will support commercial and community activities and encourage visitors. An Australian Government Building Better Regions Fund grant is supporting this component.
Narooma Sport and Leisure Precinct Plan of Management
This plan will provide management strategies for Bill Smyth Oval, Nata Oval, the swimming and leisure centres, and the foreshore up to Ken Rose Park. The plan will guide how these sites are developed and managed, as well as operational decision-making for up to ten years. It will also fulfil our obligations under the Crown Land Management Act 2016, the Local Government Act 1993 and ROSS Action E29.
We are preparing landscape masterplans for key precincts within the foreshore area and flat. The landscape masterplans will complement the other planning projects and deliver ROSS Action S3. The masterplans will map current and future infrastructure, facilities and landscaping to guide site improvements and developments for:
- Bill Smyth Oval
- Nata Oval/Visitors Centre/Leisure Centre/Swimming Centre
- Wagonga Inlet Foreshore Reserve and Ken Rose Park
- Narooma foreshore from the wharf to the marina
- Council staff and consultants have compiled the community input gathered earlier in the year, along with information required by legislation to produce a draft plan of management and accompanying landscape masterplans for the Narooma Sport and Leisure Precinct.
- At the ordinary Council meeting on 26 November 2019 councillors will consider providing the draft plan of management to the NSW Department of Industry Crown Lands service to ensure it meets legislative requirements.
- If authorised by the NSW Department of Industry, the next step will be to put the document on public exhibition. Watch this space.
- On Tuesday 4 June we held a workshop with representatives from identified user groups where they could express ideas about what would make the Narooma Flat a move vibrant and welcoming place.
- On Wednesday 5 June, we hosted a community drop in session at Narooma where all community members could drop by to share their ideas with us in person.
- From 5 to 21 June, we asked people to share their thoughts on the future of the Narooma Flat with us via an online survey.
- Council engaged Localé Consulting and Ayling & Drury Landscape Architecture to assist planning.
- Council has initiated discussions with identified stakeholders.
For more information please contact Senior Recreation Planner, Emma Gorny:
- T: 4474 7336
- E: Emma Gorny