Showerhead exchange program
On average, 30% of all household water use is in the shower. Council has a showerhead exchange program to help water customers to save water: replace your old, inefficient showerhead with a high quality 3 star WELS (Water Efficiency Labelling Scheme) rated showerhead.
Who is eligible?
If your residential or non-residential property is in Eurobodalla Shire, and you are supplied by Council's mains water system, you are eligible.
If you are a resident you can receive up to two showerheads. If you are renting in Eurobodalla Shire, you will need the owner's consent in writing. If you are a non-resident (a business or organisation), you can receive up to eight showerheads.
Contact Council to discuss if you need more than eight showerheads.
How to exchange your showerhead
Bring your old (2 star or less) WELS rated showerhead and a copy of your latest water bill to one of our exchange locations listed below.
Non-residents (businesses or organisations)
Bring a copy of your latest water bill to one of our exchange locations and pick up the new showerheads. Once you have replaced the showerheads, you must bring back the old showerheads within 30 days, otherwise we will bill you for the new showerheads.
- Council's customer service office building, corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm)
- Batemans Bay Depot office, Princes Highway Batemans Bay (Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 12.30pm or 1.30pm to 3.30pm)
- Narooma Depot office, Glass House Rocks Road Narooma (Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 12pm or 1pm to3.30pm).
Removing and installing your showerhead
In NSW, owner-occupiers can install 3 star water saving showerheads in their homes without using a licensed plumber.
If you install the showerhead yourself, Eurobodalla Shire Council is not responsible for any damage that may be caused by the installation. If you are unsure about installing the showerhead yourself, we recommend that you use a licensed plumber.
To remove and install a new showerhead yourself:
- Make sure the shower taps are turned off. Using an adjustable spanner, undo the showerhead arm from the wall, turning anti-clockwise.
- With the water still turned off, clean the thread with a brush or steel wool. Apply three to four rotations of the tape Council provided, tightly in a clockwise direction.
- Install the new showerhead by turning the showerhead in a clockwise direction. Using a spanner and a cloth, tighten the showerhead firmly but do not over-tighten because this can crack tiles. Do not use shower arm to tighten.
Terms and conditions
- Eurobodalla Shire Council is not responsible for the removal or installation of the showerheads, or any damage caused as a result.
- The showerheads are only available for installation at properties that have an authorised connection to Eurobodalla Shire Council's water supply system. A water bill must be presented when you exchange your showerhead.
- The showerhead exchange program is limited to a maximum of two showerheads per residential property, and eight showerheads per non-residential property (though contact Council if you have more).
- You must surrender your existing standard (2 star WELS rated or lower) showerhead, and you will be provided with a replacement new 3 star WELS rated showerhead as stocked by Council. For non-residential properties, you can drop your showerheads in after they've been replaced.
- If you choose to participate in the program, you will not be able to get your original showerhead(s) returned if you are unhappy with the new showerhead(s).
- Please note that water efficient showerheads are not suitable for low pressure, gravity fed and some instantaneous or continuous supply hot water systems.
- Eurobodalla Shire Council takes no responsibility for plumbing issues relating to your property as a result of the program.
- Stocks of showerheads are limited and will be allocated on a first come basis.
- To help ensure our sustainable future, we will recycle your old showerhead so the recycled material can be reused to produce various other products.
We can help you
If you would like more information about Council's shower head exchange program, contact Council's Sustainability Education Officer, Gillian Kearney, on:
- T: 02 4474 1083
- E: Gillian Kearney