Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Development and planning


Building plans and a triange-shaped ruler

What is a Development Application and why do I need one?

Development includes building, renovating, demolishing, subdividing land, display of advertising or changing the use of a building or land. A Development Application (DA) is an application made to Council seeking consent to carry out such development. A DA is required so that Council can assess the likely impacts of the development and ensure that the proposal:

  • complies with the provisions of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
  • has an acceptable environmental impact upon the locality
  • has an acceptable impact upon adjacent and neighbouring properties
  • is a permissible and appropriate use of the site according to its zoning
  • complies with Eurobodalla's local Development Control Plans (DCPs), Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) and any other relevant legislation and planning controls (refer to planning controls below).

Legislation and controls

Building, development and land use in Eurobodalla Shire are guided by:

Does all development need a DA?

Not all activity requires a DA. Developments can also be carried out as:

  • exempt development (no approval required)
  • complying development (20 day approval process, strict requirements).

You will need to determine what type of development your proposal falls under.

For more information on what developments can be carried out as either exempt development or as complying development, refer to the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

You can also view specific exempt development rules relating to your property on the NSW Government Planning & Environment website.

Need advice?

Council's planning team provides a full range of statutory Development Application services and advice on the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and other state and local building regulations.

Before you start your Development Application, call our Development Helpdesk or come and see us. We can let you know the types of building and planning approvals you need and help get you started.

Online tools to help you

You can use our online tools to help you during your Development Application process:

Support for businesses

Council's business development team can help you develop your business concept before you start your Development Application.

We can help you

If you need more information, please contact our Development Helpdesk:

  • T: 02 4474 1231
  • E: Council's Development Helpdesk
  • visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.