What is a Development Application and why do I need one?
Development includes building, renovating, demolishing, subdividing land, display of advertising or changing the use of a building or land. A Development Application (DA) is an application made to Council seeking consent to carry out such development. A DA is required so that Council can assess the likely impacts of the development and ensure that the proposal:
- complies with the provisions of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
- has an acceptable environmental impact upon the locality
- has an acceptable impact upon adjacent and neighbouring properties
- is a permissible and appropriate use of the site according to its zoning
- complies with Eurobodalla's local Development Control Plans (DCPs), Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) and any other relevant legislation and planning controls (refer to planning controls below).
Legislation and controls
Building, development and land use in Eurobodalla Shire are guided by:
- the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
- the Eurobodalla Local Environmental Plan 2012
- the Eurobodalla Rural Local Environmental Plan 1987
- the Eurobodalla Urban Local Environmental Plan 1999
- local Development Control Plans.
Does all development need a DA?
Not all activity requires a DA. Developments can also be carried out as:
- exempt development (no approval required)
- complying development (20 day approval process, strict requirements).
You will need to determine what type of development your proposal falls under.
For more information on what developments can be carried out as either exempt development or as complying development, refer to the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.
You can also view specific exempt development rules relating to your property on the NSW Government Planning & Environment website.
Council's planning team provides a full range of statutory Development Application services and advice on the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and other state and local building regulations.
Before you start your Development Application, call our Development Helpdesk or come and see us. We can let you know the types of building and planning approvals you need and help get you started.
Online tools to help you
You can use our online tools to help you during your Development Application process:
- Property enquirer: determine the type of development permitted on your property and find information about the things you have to consider when planning your development such as bushfire and flooding risks.
- ePlanning: track your application's progress once it is lodged.
- Find out about:
Support for businesses
Council's business development team can help you develop your business concept before you start your Development Application.
We can help you
If you need more information, please contact our Development Helpdesk:
- T: 02 4474 1231
- E: Council's Development Helpdesk
- visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.