banner image

Types of development

Development includes building, renovating, demolishing, subdividing land or changing the use of a building or land.

New development falls within one of these categories:

Use the NSW Planning Portal from 1 July 2021

From 1 July 2021, applications such as development applications and post-consent certificates must be lodged via the NSW Government's Planning Portal. From 1 July 2021 the NSW Planning Portal is the only way you can lodge these applications.

NSW Planning Portal: frequently asked questions

Find answers to all of your questions about lodging certain planning applications online through the NSW Planning Portal:

Land-use zones

The Eurobodalla Local Environmental Plan (LEP) sets out what development can be undertaken in each zone. There are different land-use zones under the LEP, including residential, commercial and industrial zones. These zones reflect the type of development that is expected to occur in the area.

  • You can use the Department of Planning and Environment's Planning Portal to find out what zone your property is and what considerations may apply to your development.

Please note: As of 1 December 2021, a reference to an Environment Protection Zone E1, E2, E3 or E4 in a document should be taken to be a reference to a Conservation Zone C1, C2, C3 or C4. For further information, please see the Department of Planning and Environment's 'Standard Instrument (Local Environmental Plans) Amendment (Land Use Zones) Order 2021'.

The development process

If you determine that you need to lodge a Development Application, this flowchart shows the major steps in the development process and explains each step in more detail:

Local government approval for other activities

Your development may include other activities that need other approvals or permits including water, sewer or stormwater works, a septic system or solid fuel heater, and works within the road reserve such as a driveway crossover and tree removal.

More information

We can help you

We offer free pre-lodgement services to help you understand the Development Application process and answer your questions.

For more information, contact our Development Help Desk: