Types of development
Development includes building, renovating, demolishing, subdividing land or changing the use of a building or land.
New development falls within one of these categories:
- exempt development: minor works that do not require approval because they are undertaken in accordance with the specified standards in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (the State Policy)
- complying development: combined Development Application and Construction Certificate process where the development meets the specified standards in the State Policy.
- Development Application: all other local development that is not exempt or complying requires a Development Application and a Construction Certificate.
Use the NSW Planning Portal from 1 July 2021
From 1 July 2021, applications such as development applications and post-consent certificates must be lodged via the NSW Government's Planning Portal. From 1 July 2021 the NSW Planning Portal is the only way you can lodge these applications.
NSW Planning Portal: frequently asked questions
Find answers to all of your questions about lodging certain planning applications online through the NSW Planning Portal:
The Eurobodalla Local Environmental Plan (LEP) sets out what development can be undertaken in each zone. There are different land-use zones under the LEP, including residential, commercial and industrial zones. These zones reflect the type of development that is expected to occur in the area.
- You can use the NSW Government Department of Planning, Industry and Environment's Planning Portal to find out what zone your property is and what considerations may apply to your development.
The development process
If you determine that you need to lodge a Development Application, this flowchart shows the major steps in the development process and explains each step in more detail:
- Flowchart of the Development Application process (138KB).
- Find out more about the development process.
Local government approval for other activities
Your development may include other activities that need other approvals or permits including water, sewer or stormwater works, a septic system or solid fuel heater, and works within the road reserve such as a driveway crossover and tree removal.
- Find out if your development needs approval.
- Find out about the key steps in the Development Application process.
We can help you
We offer free pre-lodgement services to help you understand the Development Application process and answer your questions.
For more information, contact our Development Help Desk:
- T: 02 4474 1231
- E: Council's Development Help Desk