banner image

Other approvals and permits

In addition to a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) or a Development Application (DA), you may need other formal approvals for certain parts of your development, or works associated with your development. This can include new stormwater connections, driveway crossings or similar work. This kind of work requires Council approval to ensure it complies with the relevant standards.

We encourage you to seek any other approvals or permits before or at the same time you lodge your DA. This can help you to avoid delays or the need to make separate applications.

Use the NSW Planning Portal from 1 July 2021

From 1 July 2021, applications such as development applications and post-consent certificates must be lodged via the NSW Government's Planning Portal. From 1 July 2021 the NSW Planning Portal is the only way you can lodge these applications.

NSW Planning Portal: frequently asked questions

Find answers to all of your questions about lodging certain planning applications online through the NSW Planning Portal:

Other works that require Council approval

Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 covers many types of common works and activities that require Council's approval, including:

  • installing a manufactured home, movable dwelling or associated structure on land
  • carrying out water supply work
  • drawing water from a council water supply or a standpipe or sell water so drawn
  • installing, altering, disconnecting or removing a meter connected to a service pipe
  • carrying out sewerage work
  • carrying out stormwater drainage work
  • connecting a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of a council or with a drain or sewer that connects with such a public drain or sewer
  • operating a caravan park or camping ground
  • operating a manufactured home estate
  • installing a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance other than a portable appliance
  • installing or operating amusement devices.

You can seek approval from Council for a connection to Council's sewerage or water network under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 as part of your DA under question five on the DA form, or as a separate stand-alone application (eg, prior to a CDC) using:

Council will assess your application and where approval is granted, we will provide you with a letter that will include any conditions that apply to these works.

However, if you choose to apply for any of these activities or works at the same time as your DA, rather than lodge a separate Section 68 Application, you will not be required to pay any additional application fees associated with these works.

Council approval is required for any works proposed within the road reserve under Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993. This is to ensure public safety is maintained and that there is no liability or risk imposed on Council.

Works within the road reserve can include activities like:

  • erecting a structure
  • digging up or disturbing the surface of a public road
  • constructing a driveway crossover
  • removing or interfering with a structure
  • any other activities as defined within the Roads Act 1993.

Just like Section 68 activities, you can make a Section 138 Application by itself or as part of a DA.

If you are applying as part of a DA you will need to provide information about the works you wish to undertake, outlined in the DA checklist. Any conditions applicable to the works on the road will be included in the notice of determination for your DA.

On-site sewage management systems (OSSM) refer to any system that treats wastewater and disposes of the effluent within the premises. If you live in a house that is not connected to reticulated sewer, you will have an OSSM.

OSSM is regulated jointly by local councils and NSW Health, and must be approved by Council before installation. You must ensure your OSSM system is maintained and working well once installed.

If you would like to install a new OSSM on your property, or alter an existing system, you are required to gain approval from Council and submit an Application to Install/Alter and Operate an On-site Sewage Management System (refer to Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993).

Liquid trade waste means all liquid waste, other than domestic sewage, produced by a business, industrial or commercial activity, that is discharged to the sewerage system. It excludes domestic waste from a hand wash basin, shower, bath or toilet.

Liquid trade waste may require pre-treatment prior to being discharged into the sewerage system, due to its concentration levels.

If you intend to carry out a business activity that generates and discharges liquid trade waste into Council's sewerage system, you will need to complete a Liquid Trade Waste Application to obtain approval from Council under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993. This applies to new and existing trade waste dischargers.

We can help you

For more information, contact our Development Help Desk: