A clipboard with papers attached to it being passed over a desk from one person's hand to another person's hand banner image

Do I need approval?

Before you carry out any development or building works, you'll need to find out what approvals are required.

Most development requires a Development Application (DA), but sometimes you can do certain types of development as:

  • exempt development: some minor building renovations or works may not need any planning or building approval, eg, decks, garden sheds, carports, and fences. Exempt development is very low-impact development.
  • complying development: a fast-track approval process for straightforward residential, commercial and industrial development, eg, swimming pool, demolishing a building, or renovating a home. This type of approval combines the functions of a DA and Construction Certificate (CC). Complying development can't be done on all land.

Rebuilding after bushfire

If you've been impacted by bushfires and are planning on rebuilding or repairing your home, support is available to help you during this difficult process.

Exempt development

You can do some minor building works in NSW without Council approval. Exempt development is low impact development that can be done for certain residential, commercial and industrial developments.

The State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 sets out the standards that apply to each development type to be exempt. It also includes the general requirements for exempt development. If your development meets these criteria, you won't need Council approval (consent).

The Eurobodalla Local Environmental Plan 2012 also outlines exempt development you can do without approval.

Complying development

Complying development is a combined planning and construction approval issued by an accredited certifier in the form of a Complying Development Certificate (CDC).

For development to be complying development, it needs to meet specific development standards. It should also comply with the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 and the National Construction Code.

You can't do complying development on all types of land, including:

  • environmentally sensitive land
  • bushfire prone land with a BAL 40 or BAL FZ rating
  • land containing a heritage item
  • foreshore areas.

You'll need a CDC before you start any demolition, excavation or building work.

NSW Planning Portal: frequently asked questions

Find answers to all of your questions about lodging certain planning applications online through the NSW Planning Portal:

We can help you

For more information, contact our Development Help Desk: