Request a copy of building plans
Council is required to keep a record of all building approvals issued. This includes building licences and permits, plans and supporting documentation.
Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, you can request a copy of building plans if you are the owner of the property.
Information required before applying
When you lodge an Application for Copy of Building Plans, we need to know the:
- applicant's name: the person asking for the building plans
- property address
- lot and DP details of the property
- purpose of your request.
If you are the owner of the property, you will need to provide:
- photo identification or a copy of your rates notice.
If you are not the owner of the property, you will need to provide the:
- owner's written and signed consent, which you must attach to your application, and
- owner's photo identification or a copy of the owner's rates notice.
If the owner of the property is a company, you will need to provide:
- proof of directorship.
If the property is a Strata Title, you will need to provide:
- the signature/seal of the Secretary of the body corporate or managing agent.
Note: If you do not have owner's consent, you are still able to receive a copy of plans, however the floor plans will be redacted.
All copies of plans and associated documents held by Council are protected by copyright under the provisions of the Copyright Act 1968. For example, if an architect drafted your building plans he/she retains copyright ownership of those plans, and you will need that architect's consent to obtain a copy. You will need to provide Council with a signed letter of consent from the copyright owner.
If your request for a copy of plans does not relate to an application under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Council requires written consent from the copyright holder or proof that the copyright holder cannot be identified or contacted to grant consent.
How to apply
You can apply for a copy of the building plans by completing the Application for Copy of Building Plans and Credit Card Form, and paying the relevant fee:
If you don't want to pay by credit card, we can email an invoice to you for payment.
The application and your supporting documents can be submitted:
- by email: Council
- in person: at Council's customer service centre on the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, between 8.30am and 4.30pm.
- by post: Eurobodalla Shire Council, PO Box 99, Moruya NSW 2537.
What happens next
Once we receive your application, we carry out a search of our records, however Council cannot guarantee the building plans you request are available on the property file.
Please allow up to 10 working days for your application to be processed.
We will notify you if the plans are held under copyright and we require written consent from the copyright holder.
If you need more information about the application process, please contact our Development Admin Team on:
- T: 02 4474 7444
- E: Development Admin Team