Local environmental plans

Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) guide planning decisions and manage the way land is used within a local government area. LEPs are:

  • used to zone land for a range of uses such as for housing, commercial and industrial development, open space, rural development and other uses.
  • the main planning tool to shape the future of communities and ensure local development is done appropriately and in an environmentally sensitive manner.

Development control plans provide more detailed guidance for local development permitted under the LEP.

The Department of Planning and Environment has changed its name: From 1 January 2024

The DPE has changed its name to the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure (DPHI). Any reference to the DPE in a document should be read as the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure.

Changes to Business and Industrial zones

The NSW Department of Planning and Environment (now named the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure) has implemented Employment zones reforms.

  • The reforms have replaced Business and Industrial zones with Employment zones in Local Environmental Plans across NSW.
  • Reference to a Business or Industrial zone B1, B2, B4, B5 or IN1 in a document or page should be taken to be a reference to an Employment zone E1, E2, E3, E4 or MU1.
  • The aims are to better accommodate the changing needs of businesses, increase investment, and boost jobs growth.
  • The changes came into effect on 1 December 2022.

Eurobodalla Local Environmental Plan 2012

This LEP applies to most land in the Eurobodalla Shire and identifies where different types of development may be allowed:

Your land

Check the zoning of your land

The Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure's Planning Portal allows you to access information about land-use zones and map layers in local environmental plans:

Council's land-mapping tool also provides some spatial information for community use:

Please note: As of 1 December 2021, a reference to an Environment Protection Zone E1, E2, E3 or E4 in a document should be taken to be a reference to a Conservation Zone C1, C2, C3 or C4. For further information, please see Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure's Standard Instrument (Local Environmental Plans) Amendment (Land Use Zones) Order 2021.

From 1 March 2022, the 45 existing State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs) have been consolidated into 11 policies. Any references on this page to any of the amended SEPPs outlined on the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure's website should be replaced with the new applicable consolidated policy.

Check what you can do/build on your land

The land-use table in the LEP outlines what development is allowed without consent, what isn't allowed, and what uses need development consent.

Exempt and complying development

Some uses or development may be exempt from needing development consent, and some may be able to be done with a Complying Development Certificate (CDC).

Planning proposals

A planning proposal is a document that explains the detail and intended effect of a proposed LEP or a proposed amendment to an existing LEP. The planning proposal sets out the reasons for making that plan and the potential social, economic and environmental impacts of the proposal.

The preparation of a planning proposal is the first step in preparing or amending an LEP. Throughout the course of preparing the proposed LEP, the planning proposal itself may evolve. This is especially the case for complex proposals. Planning proposals are exhibited for community input before any final decisions are made on the plans.

More information about the planning proposal process can be found on the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure's website.

Flood mapping and related amendments

On 8 August 2017, Council endorsed a planning proposal to include flood mapping in the ELEP 2012, to rezone certain flood- prone land from C2 to an appropriate zone and to make related amendments. A Gateway Determination on this planning proposal was issued on 27 November 2017 and placed on public exhibition from 8 November 2017 to 2 February 2018.

We can help you

If you need more information, please phone our Development Help Desk:

  • T: 02 4474 1231
  • E: Council's Development Help Desk
  • visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.