A brown and white dog standing on a wall at the beach watching the waves at sunset banner image

Lost, found or impounded animals

If your animal is lost or if you have found an animal, please contact Council's Rangers.

The Eurobodalla Pound is managed by Council and is located on the corner of Shelley Road and Pollwombra Road, Moruya. The Pound is not manned on a full time basis, however you can contact Council's Rangers during business hours if you need to report a lost or found animal.

Please note that fees and charges apply to impounded and released animals to cover the costs of housing and feeding.

What to do if your cat or dog is missing

If your cat or dog has been missing, you will need to notify Council. If your dog is a restricted dog or a declared dangerous or menacing dog and it is missing, you must notify Council within 24 hours of noticing that your dog has gone missing.

Council will change the status of your cat or dog on the NSW Companion Animals Register to 'missing', which will lock the microchip record until your cat or dog is found or has returned home. This will prevent a person who is claiming to own your cat or dog (if for example it has been stolen) from transferring ownership.

It is important to confirm with Council that your contact details are correct when you report your cat or dog as missing, so that you can be contacted when it is found.

You should consider contacting local vets and approved animal welfare organisations to check if a cat or dog with your cat or dog's microchip number, or matching your cat or dog's description, has been found.

What to do if your cat or dog has been found

Notify Council when your animal has been found or returned home after being reported as missing. This enables Council to unlock the microchip record and update the NSW Companion Animals Register.

What to do if you have found a stray dog

If you have found a dog that you believe to be a stray, you should first check to see if it is wearing a collar and tag. If it is, use the contact details on the tag to contact the owner.

If the dog is not wearing a collar and tag, contact Council and we will pick up the animal and scan for a microchip. The owner's contact details can be obtained from the NSW Companion Animals Register. Council will then contact the owner who will be reunited with his/her dog.

What to do if you have found a stray cat

If you have found a cat that you believe to be a stray, contact Council and we will send out Rangers to pick up the animal.

In some instances, Council will also hire out cat traps to the public.

We can help you

If you have any questions about a lost, found or impounded animal, or would like to provide feedback to improve the information on this page, please contact Council's Rangers:

  • T: 4474 1019
  • E: Council Rangers
  • visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan and Campbell streets, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.