A man's hand holding a pen and notebook next to a laptop computer screen banner image

Section 603 (rates) Certificate

A Section 603 (rates) Certificate is commonly needed when you are selling a property. The certificate states the amount of any outstanding rates, charges and debts (if any) payable to Council in relation to a property. Each property number requires a separate Section 603 Certificate, and they are only valid for the date of issue.

If you are purchasing a property, you may also want a Section 735A Application for Outstanding Notices.

A Section 603 Certificate provides information relating to the property, such as:

  • legal description of the property
  • property number and address
  • outstanding rates and charges against the property
  • rates and charges levied for the current year
  • outstanding water account usage charges.

Water consumption charges will only show on a Section 603 Certificate if there is any outstanding water charges. You will need to arrange a special water meter reading to determine what the owner has used since their previous reading.

You can apply to Council to arrange a special water meter reading by completing the application form and paying the application fee:

Applying for a Section 603 (rates) Certificate

You can apply for a certificate under Section 603 of the Local Government Act 1993 by completing the application and paying the application fee:

The application can be submitted:

  • by applying online: via our eServices system
  • in person: at the customer service centre on the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, between 8.30am and 4.30pm
  • by email: Council
  • by post: to Eurobodalla Shire Council, PO Box 99, Moruya NSW 2537.

You will need to pay your application fee at the time of lodgement.

The certificate is processed within seven working days and will be mailed to the address specified on the application.

Who can apply for a Section 603 (rates) Certificate?

Anyone can apply for a Section 603 Certificate, however, conveyancers, solicitors and property owners are the most common applicants.

We can help you

If you need more information about Section 603 (rates) Certificates, please phone the our Rates Team:

  • T: 02 4474 1355
  • E: Rates enquiry
  • visit our customer service centre at the corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.