A body of water on a sunny day banner image

Water FAQs

On this page you'll find answers to commonly asked questions about water in the Eurobodalla Shire.

Who supplies our water?

Council supplies water to urban areas in Eurobodalla. Water from Moruya River is pumped to Deep Creek Dam and then on to the Northern Water Treatment Plant. From there it enters the distribution network. During high peak demand (generally the summer period) the southern part of the shire is supplied with water from the Tuross River via the Southern Water Treatment Plant.

Where does it come from?

Rain falls and runs into creeks, lakes and rivers (our catchment). Water from the Buckenboura and Deua Rivers is pumped to Deep Creek Dam to supply the whole of the shire most of the year, but in summer and peak periods (holidays), the Tuross River bores supply the southern part of the shire.

Where is our water stored?

Deep Creek Dam is our major water storage. Water in the dam has air (oxygen) pumped through it to keep it healthy. Five SolarBees float in the dam to circulate the water at the bottom up to the top so the sun can get to it to kill bacteria and algae (ultraviolet disinfection). Water from Deep Creek Dam is pumped to the Northern Water Treatment Plant at Denhams Beach and after being treated, goes to our reservoirs.

What happens at our Water Treatment Plants?

Our Treatment Plants filter the water before it is disinfected. The water is then disinfected with ultraviolet lights and chlorine. Fluoride is added for dental health. The Northern Water Treatment Plant (NTWP) produces a maximum of 20 million litres of drinking (potable) water each day. When required, the Southern Water Treatment Plant (STWP) operates to produce a maximum of 6 million litres per day.

Where does it go after treatment?

There are two major reservoirs in the shire: the Denhams Beach Reservoir is filled by the Northern Water Treatment Plant and the Big Rock Reservoir is filled from the Southern Water Treatment Plant. Water from these two reservoirs gravitates (moves downwards) through trunk mains (very large pipes) around the shire to thirty three (33) service reservoirs.

Water gravitates from the service reservoirs through the reticulated mains (system of pipes) to each home. At the boundary of your home is a water meter that records all the water that comes through pipes into your taps.

How does it get from a reservoir to my home?

When you turn on your tap and enjoy clear, high quality water, take a moment to think about just what has gone into getting that water to you—every time. Once our water is treated, it weaves its way through an intricate network made up of kilometres of pipes, pumping stations and reservoirs that run the span of the shire.

A completely different set of pipes and pumping stations takes the water from your shower, toilet, kitchen sink and bath to sewage treatment plants that transform the sewage back into a liquid that will have minimal impact on our environment. This treated water is either recycled to irrigate sports fields and golf courses or makes its way to rivers and oceans.

These two systems of pipes make up Council’s water and sewer reticulated system.

How much does water cost?

Fees are adjusted annually. For the 2023-24 financial year the following charges apply:

  • Residential water service charge: $390 per year
  • Water usage: $4.00 per 1,000 litres

What do the costs cover?

The costs cover water harvesting, storage, treatment and transfer to properties.

Where is my water meter?

If you are connected to Council's water supply, your water meter is probably located along your front boundary. Water meters are read from left to right. Phone the Council Rates Team on 02 4474 1000 if you need help finding your meter.

Can I get my water meter moved?

Contact Council on 4474 1000 to apply for a Water Meter Relocation. A private works order can be arranged at the expense of the property owner.

How do I get water connected to my property?

Drop in to Council at the Moruya office, Batemans Bay depot or Narooma depot to collect and complete a Water Meter Application form. Meters are generally installed within two weeks of application.

The installation of a standard 20mm urban water meter costs $1,043 (2023-24 financial year).

How will I know if water restrictions are in place?

During droughts and periods of low rainfall, Council advertises water restrictions on its website and through the media.

Can I have my own rainwater tank?

Yes, water tanks are encouraged in the Eurobodalla to reduce the demand on the reticulated water supply. Tank water can be used in your garden, to flush your toilets and in your washing machine.

I have low water pressure. Can this be fixed?

Unfortunately, the higher the elevation of your house, the less water pressure is available. A qualified plumber may be able to install an in-line booster pump to increase your water pressure. If your pressure drops suddenly please call Council on 4474 1000.

I have no water coming out of my taps. What do I do?

Occasionally water needs to be turned off for a short period of time for maintenance or repairs. Residents will receive a flyer at their home regarding any planned water supply interruptions.

If you haven't been notified of a water outage and your neighbour's water is not affected:

  1. Check that your water meter hasn't been accidentally turned off.
  2. Look around your yard for evidence that a pipe may be broken and leaking.
  3. Phone Council on 4474 1000 to report the situation.

I see a burst pipe or a leaking water meter. What do I do?

Phone Council on 02 4474 1000 as soon as possible.

How much chlorine is in the water supply? Why?

Sufficient chlorine is added in accordance with the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines to ensure the water is suitable and safe for human consumption.

How much fluoride is in the water supply? Why?

Fluoride is added to the maximum of 1 milligram per litre in accordance with the NSW Department of Health guidelines. After consultation with the community the proposal was adopted by Council in 2011 to assist with dental care.

How can I be sure town water is safe to drink?

Council must supply water which is compliant with the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines

How often is the water tested?

Testing is carried out continuously at the water treatments plants and weekly in the field. The results are published on our Drinking water quality summaries web page.

Am I drinking recycled water?

No. While some of Council's treated effluent from its Sewage Treatment Works is used to irrigate sports fields and parks, the water from your tap travels along a different system of pipes.

How can I get a water sample tested?

Contact Council's Environmental Services on 02 4474 1000 to discuss possible testing.

How will I know if there is something wrong with the water and if I need to boil it?

Council will issue print, online and radio notices providing updates and recommendations if the water quality is affected.

I have dirty water coming out of my taps. What can I do?

Start by flushing the taps. If the water doesn't clear after 10 minutes, phone Council on 02 4474 1000.