Saving water at home
Water is a precious resource that we can all help conserve. Simple actions around your home can save you money on your utility bills and help protect our environment.
Everyday habits that make a difference
- Fill the washing machine or dishwasher instead of doing half or not-quite-full loads.
- Avoid rinsing dishes or other items under a running tap.
- Turn off the tap when cleaning teeth or shaving.
- Flush the toilet less.
- Wash the car less, and only on the grass.
- Use a broom, not a hose, to clear driveways and pathways.
- Challenge yourself and your household to limit showers to 3 minutes or less.
Outside and in the garden
- If you have a pool or spa, use a cover to restrict evaporation.
- Reuse your dishwater in the garden.
- Only wash your car or boat on the lawn, and only after 5pm and before 10am.
- Only use a handheld hose for the garden if it is fitted with a trigger nozzle, and only after 5pm and before 10am.
- Let the lawn go brown during dry seasons.
- Consider drought tolerant native plants that do not need a lot of water, or group plants with similar needs together.
- Book a free water-wise and bush-friendly garden visit with our Environment Team to get personalised tips and ideas for your garden.
Around the house
- Read your water meter regularly and check for leaks.
- Act quickly to fix any leaks around the house.
- Replace old non-WELS (Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards) showerheads with a WELS-rated water efficient showerhead.
- When choosing appliances, go for those that have a good water efficiency rating. Council offers a rebate to Eurobodalla water customers on washing machines that are WELS-rated 4.5 stars or above - refer to 'Rebates and incentives' information on this page.
- Replace single flush toilets with WELS-rated dual flushes. Council offers a rebate for 4 star WELS-rated dual flush toilets that replace single flush ones and are not part of BASIX development requirements.
- Consider investing in a rain water tank to water your garden, flush your toilets and provide water for your washing machine.
- Learn about using greywater and your property.
Rebates and incentives
Council and the NSW Government can assist you with a range of rebates and incentives to help conserve water and energy and reduce your carbon footprint.
Upgrading an inefficient showerhead can save a typical two-person household over $400 per year in energy and hot water costs.
If you bring in your old, inefficient showerhead, Council will replace it with a high quality 3 star WELS rated water-efficient showerhead.
You are eligible for the program if your property is:
- located in Eurobodalla Shire
- supplied by Council's water mains system.
Residents can claim up to two showerheads, businesses or organisations can claim up to eight showerheads.
How to exchange your showerhead
- Residents: Bring your old (two star or less) WELS rated showerhead and a copy of your latest water bill to one of our exchange locations listed below.
- Businesses or organisations: Bring a copy of your latest water bill to one of our exchange locations and pick up the new showerheads. Once you have replaced the showerheads, you must bring back the old showerheads within 30 days, otherwise we will bill you for the new showerheads.
- Council's customer service office building, corner of Vulcan Street and Campbell Street, Moruya (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm)
- Batemans Bay Depot office, Princes Highway Batemans Bay (Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 12.30pm or 1.30pm to 3.30pm)
- Narooma Depot office, Glass House Rocks Road Narooma (Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 12pm or 1pm to 3.30pm).
Removing and installing your showerhead
In NSW, owner-occupiers can install 3 star water saving showerheads in their homes without using a licensed plumber.
If you install the showerhead yourself, Eurobodalla Shire Council is not responsible for any damage that may be caused by the installation. If you are unsure about installing the showerhead yourself, we recommend that you use a licensed plumber.
To remove and install a new showerhead yourself:
- Make sure the shower taps are turned off. Using an adjustable spanner, undo the showerhead arm from the wall, turning anti-clockwise.
- With the water still turned off, clean the thread with a brush or steel wool. Apply three to four rotations of the tape Council provided, tightly in a clockwise direction.
- Install the new showerhead by turning the showerhead in a clockwise direction. Using a spanner and a cloth, tighten the showerhead firmly but do not over-tighten because this can crack tiles. Do not use shower arm to tighten.
Terms and conditions
- Eurobodalla Shire Council is not responsible for the removal or installation of the showerheads, or any damage caused as a result.
- The showerheads are only available for installation at properties that have an authorised connection to Eurobodalla Shire Council's water supply system. A water bill must be presented when you exchange your showerhead.
- The showerhead exchange program is limited to a maximum of two showerheads per residential property, and eight showerheads per non-residential property (though contact Council if you have more).
- You must surrender your existing standard (2 star WELS rated or lower) showerhead, and you will be provided with a replacement new 3 star WELS rated showerhead as stocked by Council. For non-residential properties, you can drop your showerheads in after they've been replaced.
- If you choose to participate in the program, you will not be able to get your original showerhead(s) returned if you are unhappy with the new showerhead(s).
- Please note that water efficient showerheads are not suitable for low pressure, gravity fed and some instantaneous or continuous supply hot water systems.
- Eurobodalla Shire Council takes no responsibility for plumbing issues relating to your property as a result of the program.
- Stocks of showerheads are limited and will be allocated on a first come basis.
- To help ensure our sustainable future, we will recycle your old showerhead so the recycled material can be reused to produce various other products.
Council offers a $150 rebate to customers when they:
- buy an approved 4.5 star or higher WELS (Water Efficiency Labelling Scheme) rated washing machine
- install the machine at a property connected to Council's water supply
- submit a completed application form together with:
- a tax invoice showing the machine make and model, your name and address and a $0 balance owing
- proof of residence at the address (renters only)
By installing a water-efficient washing machine, you can reduce your water and energy bills. A water-efficient rated washing machine uses less than half the amount of water of an inefficient machine. This will save an average household approximately 20,000 litres of water a year.
To claim your rebate, read and complete the application form:
Council offers a $200 rebate to customers when they:
- buy a 4 star or higher WELS rated duel flush toilet
- have the toilet installed by a licensed plumber at a property connected to Council's water supply
- use it to replace an existing single flush toilet
- submit a completed application form together with a tax invoice for the purchase or installation of the toilet (ensure the receipt shows the brand and model of the new toilet and a $0 balance owing)
You can claim up to two rebates per residential property.
A 4 star water efficient rated toilet uses less than a third of the amount of water of old single flush toilets. As well as the rebate, this will save an average house around 30,000 litres of water a year on your bill.
To claim your rebate, read and complete the application form:
Council offers free installations of certain water saving devices, including hose spray guns, pre-rinse spray gun heads, tap flow restrictors and showerheads.
- The free devices replace existing equipment with higher flow characteristics.
- The program does not apply to new buildings or renovations.
You are eligible for the program if:
- you are a business or organisation located in Eurobodalla Shire
- your property is supplied by Council's mains water.
To register, please read and complete our Expression of Interest form, which includes terms and conditions: