If your development involves clearing native vegetation

You must follow the steps outlined on this page.

  • There are three key triggers for entry into the BOS:
    1. the amount of native vegetation you're proposing to clear exceeds an area threshold
    2. the impacts occur in an area mapped on the Biodiversity Values Map
    3. a significant impact is likely according to a 'test of significance' (see threatened species test of significance).
  • You can use the biodiversity assessment and approvals decision support tool to work out which approvals apply to your vegetation clearing.
  • You must consider all clearing required for your development. This includes clearing for driveways, fences, and Asset Protection Zones (APZ) for bushfire safety. You can engage a bushfire consultant to help determine the clearing required for an APZ.
  • If native vegetation clearing or biodiversity impacts meet or exceed any trigger, the BOS will apply to your development proposal.
  • If you work out the BOS doesn't apply to your development, you will need to include a vegetation removal plan. The plan must include the total area (m2) of clearing, including the entire APZ and associated clearing, ie, access roads, fencing, etc, required for your development.

Contact the BOS Help Desk

If the BOS applies to your development, you must contact an accredited assessor to assess the biodiversity impacts.

You will need a Biodiversity Assessment Report if you exceed the BOS threshold or your property is mapped on the Biodiversity Values Map. The assessor will prepare the BAR, which includes any potential impacts and offset requirements.

The assessor may suggest changes to your proposal to avoid and minimise any biodiversity impacts.

You must ensure the BAR is certified within 14 days of your application.

We will assess and consider all aspects of your application. If there are serious and irreversible impacts on biodiversity values, we will refuse your application.

If we approve your application, you will need to comply with the conditions of consent. This will need to occur before your principal certifier issues your CC or Subdivision Works Certificate, and may include offset requirements.