A grocer standing in front of Tuross Head supermarket shelves. banner image

Food businesses

Council works closely with more than 250 retail food businesses operating in Eurobodalla Shire to ensure community health is protected and food safety standards are met.

Council plays an active role in food regulation and promoting safe food handling practices. Council's Food Safety Program involves:

  • education
  • routine inspection of premises to make sure food businesses meet their required obligations
  • following-up complaints from members of the public.

Council also supports the NSW-wide COVID-Safe Program, helping food business to keep our community safe from COVID-19.

Setting up a new food business

All food businesses in Eurobodalla Shire are required to register their business with Council in order to maintain their responsibility to sell safe and suitable food, and effectively demonstrate management of food safety risks.

To notify us of your business or to change your details, please complete our Notification of Food Business form:

Then return your completed form:

  • by email: to Council
  • by post: to Eurobodalla Shire Council PO Box 99, Moruya NSW 2537

If you are constructing, altering or renovating a food premise, you must meet Australian Standard AS4674-2004: Design Construction and Fitout of a Food Premise to gain approval from Council.

Before you commence any work on your food business, you must check with Council to find out if you are required to lodge a Development Application (DA).

All food businesses must also comply with Food Standards Code 3.2.3 - Food Premises and Equipment, which is a mandatory requirement for operation.

If you are starting a home-based food business, you must notify Council before you commence operating to maintain your responsibility to sell safe and suitable food.

Home-based food businesses include:

  • preparing food for sale at local markets or school canteens in a home kitchen
  • bed and breakfast accommodation
  • home-based childcare for a fee, including the provision of food
  • home-based catering businesses.

You may need to appoint a Food Safety Supervisor if your home-based food business sells or processes ready-to-eat food, potentially hazardous food that requires temperature control, or food that is not sold in the supplier’s original packaging.

The fit-out and design of your home-based food business may be exempt from some provisions of Chapter 3 of the Food Standards Code. However, Council officers may inspect the food preparation/storage facilities at your premises before approving any exemptions. Council may also carry out regular inspections of your premises to ensure the health and safety of the community.

You can find further information and guidance on complying with Chapter 3 of the Food Standards Code, and the allowances made for home-based food businesses, in Appendix 10 of the Guide to the Food Safety Standards.

More information

Food safety for all food businesses

Food Safety Supervisors

A Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) is a person trained to identify and prevent risks associated with food handling on food premises. They must hold a current (less than five years old) FSS Certificate and not be designated FSS for more than one food premises. Training is provided by registered training organisations and you can contact your nearest organisation for further information.

The Food Act 2003 requires certain food businesses in the NSW hospitality and retail food service sector to have at least one trained FSS. This requirement applies to businesses serving food that is ready to eat and potentially hazardous, and not sold and served in the supplier's original packaging. Some exemptions apply to certain businesses, such as:

  • coffee vendors that only heat milk
  • school canteens, childcare centres
  • not-for-profit community and charitable causes
  • supermarkets
  • businesses licensed by the NSW Food Authority.

A copy of a FSS Certificate is required to be held on your premises at all times, and you will be asked to show your certificate during routine inspections. Failure to meet this requirement can result in a fine.

Food safety training

For public health and safety, Council provides the 'I'm Alert Food Safety Program' for all food businesses operating in Eurobodalla Shire.

The program provides the basic food safety principles required to run a safe food business and can be accessed online. Once completed, you will be able to print a certificate, but this is not a formal qualification.

As part of your requirement to operate your food business, Council's Food Surveillance Officer will carry out regular inspections of your premises to help safeguard the health of our community. These inspections are part of Council's Food Safety Program and are essential to ensure you are operating in full compliance with the Food Standards Code, Food Act 2003 and Food Regulation 2015.

Inspections will include assessment of:

  • receiving methods
  • storing; processing
  • display/serving
  • packaging
  • health and hygiene knowledge of food handlers
  • premises hygiene and maintenance
  • temperature measuring and maintenance records.

Inspections may be carried out on an annual or half-yearly basis, depending on the risk rating given to your business. This rating is determined by the type of food being sold, your business' food safety record, and the preparation activities being performed on the premises.

Inspection fees are outlined under 'Food Safety Program' of Council's fees and charges.

COVID Safe is a NSW-wide program that supports your business to keep our community safe from COVID-19.

Restaurant and café businesses can keep our community safe by following these three steps:

  1. Complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan for how your business will keep its customers and workers safe. This plan provides advice on physical distancing, hygiene and safety, staff wellbeing, and recording visitor and staff contact details.
  2. Register as a COVID Safe business to show that you are committed to keeping your customers and staff safe. You can register online after you have completed a COVID-19 Safety Plan.
  3. Show that your business is keeping our community COVID Safe by doing such things as sharing your completed COVID-19 Safety Plan with your staff to ensure their wellbeing, training new workers to act in a COVID Safe way, and displaying NSW Government COVID Safe posters in your business premises. Customers can also give feedback on how your business is providing a COVID Safe environment.

If your business has multiple premises, you will need to register and provide a COVID-19 Safety Plan for each premises separately.

NSW Health advice and rules

You will still need to follow the current advice from NSW Health, including:

More information

Eurobodalla Shire food retailers can show their customers that they are complying with food hygiene and safety requirements with the scores on doors program. The aim of this state-wide program is to reward businesses for their efforts in maintaining excellent food handling practices.

Council officers inspect businesses and rate their hygiene and food safety standards according to compliance with the Food Standards Code as:

  • Excellent (five stars)
  • Very good (four stars)
  • Good (three stars).

The rating considers items such as food temperature control, food prepared in advance of service, food handler hygiene, cleaning and sanitisation, and pest control.

Scores on doors offers businesses an opportunity to show customers how seriously they take food hygiene and the results they have achieved by displaying a rating certificate on their door. The program also provides an incentive for businesses to maintain high levels of food safety.

Operating a food stall at the local markets or other event in a park or other public land falls under the classification of a 'temporary food business'.

All food businesses under this classification:

All food businesses in the Eurobodalla Shire must register their business with Council in order to maintain their responsibility to sell safe and suitable food, and effectively demonstrate management of food safety risks.

To notify us of your business or to change your details, please complete this Notification of Food Business form and return it to us:

You may also be required to obtain other permits/licences for your temporary event. Please refer to our Planning your event page for more information:

You can find more about markets and temporary events on the NSW Government Food Authority website.

If you wish to hold a fundraising or charity event, please refer to NSW Government Food Authority's charities, groups and volunteers page.

Mobile vending in Eurobodalla Shire requires approval from Council under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993, as well as compliance with the:

To gain approval, you will need to complete this Mobile Food Vendor application form and pay the relevant application fee:

An annual inspection of your vehicle will be carried out as a minimum and you will be required to pay an inspection fee.

Fact sheets

The NSW Food Authority has a range of fact sheets available on topics such as cleaning and sanitising, labelling, temperature control, using eggs safely and pest control:

Food Standards Australia New Zealand also has fact sheets available relating to health and hygiene for food handlers, transporting food, preparing and cooking food, sausage sizzles and barbecues:

We can help you

If you need more information, please contact our Environmental Health Food Officer on: