It is essential your event provides sufficient toilets for the number of expected attendees.
Your event site plan must show the location and number of facilities being provided for your event. The number of toilets you will need will depend on crowd numbers, service of alcohol and the event duration. The following tables are a guide for the number of facilities.
Toilet facilities for events where alcohol is not available
Toilet facilities for events where alcohol is available
Figures may be reduced for events of shorter duration
|Duration of event||Quantity required|
|8 hours, plus||100%|
|6 to 8 hours, plus||80%|
|4 - 6 hours, plus||75%|
|Less than 4 hours||70%|
Please note: if there are not enough permanent toilets at the site, you will need to provide portable toilets. Where portable toilets are to be provided:
- Details concerning number and their location should be submitted with the event application.
- Satisfactory arrangements are to be made for their servicing.
- During the hours of darkness, toilets are adequately lit.
- Directional signage to toilets must be provided.
- There needs to be at least one accessible unisex toilet(s).
When using a Council venue, you are responsible for the cleaning of permanent toilets and other council facilities throughout your event. Inspections will be undertaken at the completion of your event to determine if the facilities are cleaned to the appropriate standards. If not, an additional charge may apply.
- Please note: as the event organiser you are also responsible for the supply of toilet paper for your event.
National Public Toilet Map
The Australian Government has developed a website which shows all public toilets across Australia. The map shows facilities, opening hours, parking and accessibility.