Building Information Certificate
Building Information Certificates are issued under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
When to apply
How to apply
You are now required to lodge your application and supporting documents on the NSW Planning Portal:
Our pre-assessment team will review your application and notify you of the outcome. If Council accepts your application, we will issue you with an invoice for the application fee.
You will then need to pay the application fee by following one of the payment options detailed on the invoice.
- The details of all certificate fees are in Council's current fees and charges document.
- If the property exceeds 200m2 or you need further inspections, additional fees will apply.
- Certificate fees are set under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2021 (the Regulation):
- Residential properties have a set application fee, per dwelling.
- The fee for other building types is calculated according to the floor area of the building. You will need to include the total floor area of the building you would like Council to inspect, on the application form.
- For other development types, refer to the fees in Schedule 4 of the Regulation or contact our Development Help Desk.
Frequently asked questions
A Building Information Certificate is issued under Section 6.24 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and applies to buildings situated on the land.
A Planning Certificate is issued under Section 10.7(2) and Section 10.7(5) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and provides information about planning controls and development restrictions relating to a property.
Yes you can, provided the Survey Report represents all structures and buildings on the land as they exist at the time you lodge your application.
If you have carried out any building works since the date of your Survey Report, you will need a new report to include the additional building works.
Resources to help you lodge your application
The Department of Planning and Environment has a range of resources to guide you through the lodgement process:
- YouTube: watch an overview of the Planning Portal
- NSW Planning Portal: applicant resources for the Planning Portal
- NSW Planning Portal: frequently asked questions for the NSW Planning Portal
You can also get Council's answers to frequently asked questions about lodging your application through the Planning Portal. This information relates to Eurobodalla customers: