Surf Beach Emergency Services Precinct
Project: Building new headquarters for the Surf Beach Rural Fire Brigade (RFB) and Batemans Bay State Emergency Service (SES)
Cost: $3.9 million
- Australian Government Black Summer Bushfire Recovery Grants Program - $628,050
- NSW Government Infrastructure Grants – disaster readiness - $200,000
- Contributions from Council, SES and RFS
Timeframe: March 2022 to December 2023
Last updated: February 2023
February 2023: We are using heavy plant to get the site level and ready for the new facilities.
We are working to:
- build a facility to service the Batemans Bay SES and Surf Beach RFB squads at a new location next to the NSW ambulance station on George Bass Drive, Surf Beach.
Benefits to the community:
The facility will allow both organisations to:
- continue providing emergency and rescue services
- conduct awareness programs to build community understanding, confidence and resilience
- provide specialised training facilities, and safe and secure storage for vehicles and equipment
- have up-to-date communication capabilities
- offer an environment likely to increase volunteer participation.
The Surf Beach RFB is currently based in Sunshine Bay. The SES was based next to the Batemans Bay Council depot until the 2019-20 bushfires destroyed the facilities. The new site in Surf Beach has been chosen for its ease of access to George Bass Drive, enabling rapid response to the northern end of Eurobodalla.
- are essential to our community, particularly during times of natural disasters
- undergo extensive training and preparation to help them to respond to a wide range of emergency and rescues
- work closely with residents to help them be more prepared for future natural disasters.
What's happened so far
- We are using heavy plant to get the site level and ready for the new facilities. We should have the bulk earthworks all done by Christmas.
- We are preparing to undertake the bulk earthworks to prepare the site for construction of the new facilities.
- Contractors arrived on-site and kicked off works on the ground.
- Vegetation was cleared to make way for the new facilities.
- Our design team liaised with the RFB and SES to determine the final layout of the site.
- Since the destruction of the old SES facility the Batemans Bay SES team have been based in a small, temporary building in Sunshine Bay, with their large plant located in shipping containers at Council's depot. The situation is inadequate for the volunteers and the community.
For more information please contact the Project Engineer, George Workman:
- T: 02 4474 1391
- E: Council