Coastal and Environment Management Advisory Committee terms of reference
The Coastal and Environment Management Advisory Committee will assist Council to manage coastal assets of environmental, cultural and economic value. The Committee will provide a link to the local community that will seek to identify the environmental values held by the community and assist Council to balance these values with sustaining development that will accommodate growth of the local economy.
Current projections for climate change indicate the impacts from naturals hazards such as coastal erosion, flooding and bushfires will exacerbate and the over the next century. Biodiversity and other aspects of the natural environment will need to adapt to different conditions under climate change.
The Coastal and Environmental Management Advisory Committee will inform Eurobodalla Shire Council in the development of planning strategies that will progress climate change adaptation for the coast, floodplains, biodiversity and natural landscapes of the local area.
Terms of reference
The terms of reference for the Coastal and Environmental Management Advisory Committee are:
- Advise on integrated planning and management of the coast, floodplains, biodiversity and natural landscapes
- Provide advice in accordance to the principals of Ecologically Sustainable Development and relevant Federal, State and Local Government Policy and Legislation
- Inform the development and adoption of Coastal Zone Management and Floodplain Management Plans for the Eurobodalla Shire;
- Inform the development and review of natural resource management plans
- Incorporate the latest knowledge of climate change into coastal, floodplain and natural landscape planning to assist Council with the integration of adaptation strategies into planning policies and instruments
- Provide and review scientific advice and integrate this knowledge into the preparation and review of natural resource management plans
- Facilitate broader community participation in coastal, floodplain and natural resource management through informing and liaising with member community groups
- Foster opportunities for joint projects, information sharing and grant funding to facilitate comprehensive and cost effective coastal, floodplain and natural resource management
- Monitor State and Federal Government natural resource management direction and advise Council on appropriate response
- Make recommendations for Council consideration. Title and Delegations: The Committee shall be referred to as the Coastal and Environmental Management Advisory Committee of Eurobodalla Shire Council. The Committee will function as a non-delegated advisory and working group. Objectives: Provide advice relating to the management of the coast, floodplains, biodiversity and natural landscapes of the Eurobodalla Shire.
- Staff from Council, State Government Agencies and Bega Valley Shire Council will attend to provide technical advice and guidance.
Variation to the terms of reference
These 'Terms of Reference' may be added to, repealed or amended by resolution of the Council in consultation with the Committee.
The contact officer for the Committee is the Coastal and Flood Management Planner.
- Alison Worthington
- Amber Schutz
- Aboriginal Community Representative
- Natural Resource Management
- Primary Industry
- North (North of Clyde River)
- Batemans Bay (CBD to Malua Bay)
- North Central (Rosedale to Moruya River)
- South Central(South Head to Potato Point)
- South (Dalmeny to Akolele)
- Other members
Council staff: as needed
- Strategic Planning
- Environmental Services
- Minute secretary
- Others as required
Agency representatives (as required):
- Environment Planning - Environment and Heritage
- NSW Department of Planning and Environment
- Environment and Planning - National Parks and Wildlife
- Department of Primary Industries - Fisheries
- Department of Primary Industries - Marine Estate Management Authority
- Department of Primary Industries - Crown Lands Division
- Forestry Corporation of NSW
- Roads and Maritime Services
- South East Local Land Services
- Bega Valley Shire Council
- Shoalhaven City Council